• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contours won't "combine"

Colin

Can't figure this out:

I just imported an EPS file (from a professional designer) of a person's logo. There's one letter in particular (a capital "D") which, when "combined" (in CorelDraw X6) will not actually combine making the background color show through.

Both contours of the D are "closed" paths, and there are no duplicates of either.

:help

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Colin, try reversing the direction of the inside path...

In X3, its a button called "Reverse Curve Direction" available when the node edit tool is selected.

GVP

I've had this before - try reversing the direction of the nodes on one of the shapes, and then combine.

buckssigns

And if ever that doesn't work, break it apart again and check the inside shape is not duplicated and sitting exactly on top of it's twin.
This can easily happen if you have big fingers and use the Number Pad '+' to duplicate shapes.

Stagecraft

One tool that works wonders in situations like this is the smart fill tool (looks like a tipping paintbucket). It is included in X3 and above.
Instead of searching for an open path or a problem node, fill the problem object with the smart fill tool. Essentially it creates a new object from the object you've just filled. Immediately after doing a smart fill, cut the new object to your clipboard then delete the original problem objects. Once they're deleted just hit paste, then combine and your problem should be solved.
I realize that it sounds complicated, but once you go through the procedure you'll see just how simple it really is. - Boyd