• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contracts

showcase 66

I met with a guy yesterday that is a retired illustrator who still wants to do some work but not run his own business. We are going to be working together on some new projects and both of us are excited about working together.

We got talking about contracts with clients which he rarely dealt with the client before or during contract signing. He did the designs and was paid. He is going to ask around with some of his former co-workers and employers about there contracts.

I will have my lawyer probably go over it to fine tune it but I want to have a good plan and layout in place.

Does anyone know a good place to get some good info about what should be included in this type of contract. Not sure if anyone wants to share theirs or not. I have one that I wrote a while ago but every time I read it, it seems like I am missing something. Not sure what, but I am willing I am leaving something off the table here.

This PDF is what I attach to all work orders for any custom designs that we produce.

Attachments

• agreement.pdf
    85.5 KB · Views: 199

SD&F

If you can get your attorney to fine tune it at a minimum cost to you, that would be the best. I know from experience that almost any contract can be made null if the wording is not in your best interest. Protect yourself

greytees

you forgot to include recouping lawyer fees

hi showcase, unless i scanned past your contract. you should have something in there making them pay for lawyer fees if things go bad. whats the point in getting $4k in court just to give it all to your lawyer (if your lucky thats all it costs).

SignManiac

Speaking of a good contract for the sign industry, I'm thinking of having an attorney write one for my company. I've always been okay with signed proofs and proposals, but I'd like something a little more thorough. I recently got bit by a subdivision who after the fact decided they think the sign should now be larger than what was proposed and signed off on.

I'm sure I could force the issue in court, but I'd rather work something out with them and not risk having them hurt my name even if I'm in the right. There's a lot of potential work in their area and I'd rather make up the loss in future referral work.

What are some of the basic conditions that any of you have in your contracts, if you even have one, that cover and can prevent the unexpected from happening? Is there a standard sign industry contract online? I haven't had any luck finding one with my searches. The stuff we do is design, fabrication, installs, etc.

The more I think about it, you could end up with a book of legalize in no time.

If you would rather PM me with some helpful ideas, it would be greatly appreciated!!