• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Convert a pdf File to Vector for use with Omega

stitchup

I know, this is a very basic question but, after a hard day's work, I'm feeling 'brain dead'!

I've been sent a bitmap in .pdf format and the customer wants me to print & cut several 100 of these disks on cling. I've no problem when the pdf bitmap is in a format I can use with Omega!

Could some take a look at the attached file and advise the best way to process the file to achieve what the customer wants?

Many thanks

John

Attachments

• red-sticker.pdf
    215.8 KB · Views: 184

J Hill Designs

looks to be a vector pdf - import to omega.

or if your omega is old, import to illustrator/corel, save as eps 3.0 and import

stitchup

Thanks guys for the replies.

I've attempted to do as suggested but get some unexpected results! When imported into Omega 5 I'm unable to view as wireframe so I can't select vector objects to fill. I'm obviously do something wrong.

Thanks again

John

Tony Teveris

Omega 5.0 has a number of import filters for PDF/AI and EPS are you selecting the vector import or the Import as an Image?

T

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I looked at this file a while back and it is an incredibly complex set of overlapping vectors in need of simplification. It shows as all white or even hidden completely once imported into Omega because of the way Omega handles overlaps of the same fill color.

My suggestion, since Illustrator has no problem displaying it correctly, would be to open it in Illustrator or Corel or Flexi and enlarge it to the largest size you will need and then generate a bitmap from that. You can then either bring the bitmap image into Omega and print it CMYK or you can trace the image into a "vinyl-ready" vector that will work correctly in Omega.

If you don't have Illustrator, Corel or FlexiSign, send the PDG to The Vector Doctor and he can trace it for you for a reasonable price and send you back an EPS file that you can successfully bring into Omega and then print with a spot red instead of 4 color process.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I looked at this file a while back and it is an incredibly complex set of overlapping vectors in need of simplification.

How is that? I just looked at it again....it is 3 circles with some text in it. Nothing complex about this at all. Pretty much ready to cut, except you may want to weld the number outlines to the inner white border. Other than, this is very simple.

stitchup

Thanks for your replies, makes very interesting reading :)

It certainly wasn't as simple as importing as a vector! I had some difficulty in creating a usable output from Omega especially as I'm no expert :frustrated:

Anyway, I did manage to produce the printed article and it looked great - I'm waiting to hear from the client to see if they felt it was great too!

Thank you.

John

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
How is that? I just looked at it again....it is 3 circles with some text in it. Nothing complex about this at all. Pretty much ready to cut, except you may want to weld the number outlines to the inner white border. Other than, this is very simple.

In Illustrator I was able to separate a clipping mask and a second set of vectors hidden under the first. Here are screen shots with and without preview turned on.

attachment.php

attachment.php

In addition, the red color is not coming from a filled vector. Rather it is coming from one of three groups containing a red bitmap image.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Red Sticker 1.jpg
    Red Sticker 1.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 516
  • Red Sticker 2.jpg
    Red Sticker 2.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 505
  • Red Sticker 3.jpg
    Red Sticker 3.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 500