• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

copy omega fonts

fatalbert

i have a omega cp 2.0 and omega 1.54 cl is there a way to copy and install fonts from one to the other? i need the monument section of fonts out of 2.0 these are gerber fonts

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Yes and it's as simple as that. Just copy any fonts you want from C:\GSP\GSPFonts on one machine to the other. They will then show up on your Omega font menus.

A note of caution. Omega automatically numbers each font as the file name created with the TTF Font Converter utility so it is always a possibility that you could overwrite one font with another if created on a different machine.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
actually, if you're running the two systems on a network, you can network the font drives....we just did it here because we run omega on two systems....to do this:
1) Start/Run:
2) Type : c:/windows/gsp.ini
3) find the entry labeled : fontdir
4) delete the path that is after the "="
5) enter the new path

as always, whenever you are editing a crucial file, make a copy of it and put it somewhere safe in case you need to write over the edited one....

Hope this helps..

threeputt

Fenris, question for you. We have two licensed copies of Omega 2.1. But the other designer here at his design station has different fonts loaded.

Are you saying that we can have the identical font directory, if we follow those instructions? Whenever I add a font, he gets it too? Obviously, I'm not too savvy on this stuff.

ScottyDoo

actually, if you're running the two systems on a network, you can network the font drives....we just did it here because we run omega on two systems....to do this:
1) Start/Run:
2) Type : c:/windows/gsp.ini
3) find the entry labeled : fontdir
4) delete the path that is after the "="
5) enter the new path

as always, whenever you are editing a crucial file, make a copy of it and put it somewhere safe in case you need to write over the edited one....

Hope this helps..

We're a the point of needing this as well. Got this info a few years ago but never implemented it. We just have a company policy that you never convert your own fonts. Type it up in Illustrator, convert it and import what you need.

We have 14 stations running Omega.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
we actually talked to a gerber tech who instructed that if we're going to convert ttf's the only way to have the same on each system is if you copy and paste them as you convert them...well, we knew with GA 6.2 you could network the fonts directory and knew that there had to be a way to do it with omega...

we currently run two licensed copies of omega and each copy has the same font directory....there is only one downfall....

say you're networking all copies of omega to pc A's GSPFonts folder....any file made prior to that on one of the other pcs will have an issue with the fonts...all text will be there when you load the new file, and you can cut/print it but if you need to edit it, you will need to reselect the font because of the way that gerber software numbers converted fonts....

what we did is created a new folder on our customer drive (which is independent of all pcs), and copied both GSPFont folders over to that new folder....then used the instructions that i listed above and now we run the same fonts on both systems....

it does take a little longer for composer to load because it has to find that font directory....if i reboot my pc, i have to login to the network drive (it requires a password entry), then open up my computer and go to the GSPFonts folder in order for composer to load the fonts...

hopefully this has been a help to some of you and makes your lives a little easier....please feel free to contact me....i will be away for the weekend, so just send a pm and i'll get it when i get home on sunday....