• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Copying files and settings to a new PC.

Steve C.

Just got our new Dell with Windows 7. Have a few questions.
What is the easiest way to transfer files programs and settings to the new
computer?
I have 3 computers on a local network, will Windows 7 network with the other
PC's that are operating on XP?

Please use small words.

choucove

There are several different methods of transferring information from one computer to the next, each have their advantages and depend upon you or your tech's level of comfort with that method of transferring files. The method suggested by WrapperX above is a pretty common option. I've often always transferred files using either an external storage device like a flash drive, or transfer it through the network. Instead of trying to copy over applications (which can sometimes cause errors working properly in the future) I've always installed all software fresh on the new computer using either the original CD or the downloaded setup files.

As for compatibility with your network, Windows 7 should work without any issues with the rest of your Windows XP computers. There have been a couple issues occasionally mentioned when files stored on the Windows 7 computer are shared to computers on the Windows XP systems, but not vice-versa.

Malkin

I hope I'm not in trouble.... we have 5 xp's & 2 Win7's on our network. I was planning on moving all the files to be shared to the newest win7 machine.

The only trouble I had so far was trying convince Norton360 that is could trust all the devices on the network.