• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel Draw X8 2 Error Messages

Sidney

Hello,

I'm stuck.......for the past week every time I try to save anything in Corel Draw X8, I get 2 Error Messages 1)"Can not access disk". or when saving I get 2)"File name not found, check the file name and try again"

Steps taken so far:

1)I have repaired Corel Draw
2) Re-installed
3) Tried Saving, exporting, renaming pre exsisting files, creating new files....
4) tried saving in older versions
5) tried saving & exporting onto desktop and other folders
6) did a patch/update from Corel Site

Anyone see this before?
Thank you in advance, Sidney

Sidney

yes, I just realized my other programs are producing the same 2 error messages:( I should have tried my others programs before I titled this post. I tried saving in different file paths/ folders etc, but no success. Obviously it's my system....I do recall updating Windows last week, maybe there's a connection. Any suggestions? Sidney

WildWestDesigns

I would surmise something with permissions. Especially if running a NAS or any other type of networking storage component.

They could have been reverted with updates (no bueno with production rigs on a WAN, sorry had to go there), always a possibility.

I have to wonder if anti-virus etc would also play a part.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I would also be on the lookout for a failing hard disc, or (just as bad, if not worse) a failing motherboard. Make sure your files are backed up. If you can't move the files around to other drives you might have to remove the drive and attach it as a slave to another computer to copy the data. In January a Windows update corrupted my Win 10 Pro installation bad enough that I had to take my PC to a computer shop we do business with. The tech there mounted the disc in another box to copy the data I wanted to save, then wiped the system and put a clean version of Win 10 Pro into it. It took a few hours to re-install my apps, drivers, etc to get back up to speed.

My aging notebook computer at home is exhibiting some faulty USB port behavior: an attached external hard drive can disappear without warning. I plugged in some headphones and it caused the external hard disc to disappear. This notebook is nearly 7 years old. Obviously I'm shopping around for a replacement. Got some sticker shock looking at the prices of those new six-core Intel i9 notebooks.

RustyNZ

Try running Corel as an Administrator (right click before running and select Run as Administrator). See if that makes a difference, if so then it might be a permissions thing. If that does work then you can set it to run like that all the time by right clicking the icon, go Properties then Compatibility, tick Run as Admin.

WildWestDesigns

Try running Corel as an Administrator (right click before running and select Run as Administrator). See if that makes a difference, if so then it might be a permissions thing. If that does work then you can set it to run like that all the time by right clicking the icon, go Properties then Compatibility, tick Run as Admin.

Running a program as admin would not be something that I would advocate. If it is truly a permissions issue, it would be better to solve that with the folders within the file path and not with giving a program su rights. This is the kinda of thing that got Windows in deep trouble during the 9x era when they had no concept of permissions and they weren't a multi-user system at all.

Some of the older programs that were written for the 9x line actually do require "run as admin", because of how the OS was setup and they had to have write access to key files that should actually be protected. So if you try to run it on XP, Vista, 7 etc, you had to tick that box, newer versions, certainly X8, shouldn't need that beyond the install process. If there are any exploits a program that can be easily targeted, having it run as su would be no bueno. Likely hood of that happening, probably not that big of a deal, but something that I would be leary of. Now if one would give Flash Player su rights, that would be a far different story (and I'm sure that there are that have, especially those that only have one account on a Windows computer).

Last edited: