• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cost of Operating

Justin

Hey all,

I don't currently own a wide format printer, but I ultimately would like to. I'm curious though what the average operating cost is to operate one. I'm thinking a 30" to 40" mainly for vinyl, and poster. I know it's probably based upon ink usage but how fast does the ink usually last? I know it's based upon which colors you use more of but I am generally asking...

Thanks

Craig Sjoquist

My suggestion is do the designs, send to someone that prints whatever your looking for.
This way you will know how much you need one, as your questions get answered, you'll know if to buy.

Justin

My suggestion is do the designs, send to someone that prints whatever your looking for.
This way you will know how much you need one, as your questions get answered, you'll know if to buy.

I do plan to send my prints to someone to get done as of now, but really out of curiosity I am curious how much they cost to run ink wise more than the actual cost of vinyl/paper.

jasonx

Base your ink costs on $5 per square metre and that will cover that portion.

Materials you can work out yourself.

Flame

Hey all,

I don't currently own a wide format printer, but I ultimately would like to. I'm curious though what the average operating cost is to operate one. I'm thinking a 30" to 40" mainly for vinyl, and poster. I know it's probably based upon ink usage but how fast does the ink usually last? I know it's based upon which colors you use more of but I am generally asking...

Thanks

Straight across the board, solvent and eco-sol you're looking at $0.23 - $0.45 per square foot for ink in full color. All depends on your machine, coverage and profiles. But overall, it's not a major worry or expense. If you want more details, contact a distributor who sells the brand of printer you're looking at and they can give you more detailed figures.

J

john1

It really depends on how much your using it. If your printing only a few hours a week it would be cheaper than if your printing 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

The basic stuff is cleaning the heads, cap tops and wiper blades. That is things i do bi-weekly since i don't print but a few hours a week. If you print a ton you will be doing weekly or every few days as some do it. This will use swabs as well as cleaning fluid. Swabs are pretty cheap as you can get them from Fellers in a big pack and cleaning fluid is about $30 for a bottle about 3" tall for my machine (Roland versacamm 30").

mikefine

I am not sure if this is information you are requesting, but you struck a nerve, so I responded.

The printer salesman is not going to tell you about additional operating costs for a wide format printer. For example, you should have a maintenance policy. Because in the middle of a big important job, your printer is going to break down. (And it is a rule -- this only occurs during a big and important job that you need to get out yesterday.)

You should also have some type of insurance, to protect your machine in case of a burglary (theft) or some other calamity. I know, because I suffered through a direct lightning strike on my shop and, had it none been for an expensive insurance policy, I would have been out of business.

And inventory, you will need to stock inks, the full sets, in case one print head is bad, which happens frequently, so you need two of each -- rolls of vinyls, banners materials, various widths, types. etc. The inventory stock alone is $5K, easy -- for a small production shop. You will need extra trash collection, because large format printers produce a lot of trash. That is an added expense. You are going to need an alarm system, if you don't have one already. You will be drawing more electric, so your electric bill will increase. You may need some type of exhaust system. That costs.

Then once you have the vinyl printer figured out, now we need to talk about a laminator. What does that run these days, about $500.00 a roll. Figure you will need about 6-10 of those on hand.

So the expenses just go on and on. The inks and the machine are probably
about a third of the costs to produce. So multiply x 3, and there's your cost.

I hope this was helpful -- maybe you thought of this stuff, or maybe you hadn't.
I was just trying to give you a realistic answer.

Justin

Awesome! You all provided exactly what I was looking for, and wanted! I'm definitely going to look further into all this but I probably wont get one for another 6 months to even a year, or longer. These machines are pretty pricey and I don't really want to get a lease, or bank loan for one so cash it will be..

Thanks! I hope this helps some other newbie out there!

kylebrk

I am not sure if this is information you are requesting, but you struck a nerve, so I responded.

The printer salesman is not going to tell you about additional operating costs for a wide format printer. For example, you should have a maintenance policy. Because in the middle of a big important job, your printer is going to break down. (And it is a rule -- this only occurs during a big and important job that you need to get out yesterday.)

You should also have some type of insurance, to protect your machine in case of a burglary (theft) or some other calamity. I know, because I suffered through a direct lightning strike on my shop and, had it none been for an expensive insurance policy, I would have been out of business.

And inventory, you will need to stock inks, the full sets, in case one print head is bad, which happens frequently, so you need two of each -- rolls of vinyls, banners materials, various widths, types. etc. The inventory stock alone is $5K, easy -- for a small production shop. You will need extra trash collection, because large format printers produce a lot of trash. That is an added expense. You are going to need an alarm system, if you don't have one already. You will be drawing more electric, so your electric bill will increase. You may need some type of exhaust system. That costs.

Then once you have the vinyl printer figured out, now we need to talk about a laminator. What does that run these days, about $500.00 a roll. Figure you will need about 6-10 of those on hand.

So the expenses just go on and on. The inks and the machine are probably
about a third of the costs to produce. So multiply x 3, and there's your cost.

I hope this was helpful -- maybe you thought of this stuff, or maybe you hadn't.
I was just trying to give you a realistic answer.

couldn't have written it better myself. your printer WILL break down.

mikefine

I am on the same page as Cheap Vehicle Wrap -- $50K. Figure on 20% profit, that $250K a year in sales -- just to break even on the printer. And we are not even talking about rent and all the other good stuff.

There are approximately 250 work days a year, so you have to do a $1,000 a day ($1,000 x 250 = $250,000) with your printer (again, that pays for just the printer). So you have to print an average of about $125.00 per hour. That's with no profit.

You want to at least make $50.00/hr. right? So now you are at $175.00 per hour, you need on the printer. And how many customers do you have willing to pay $175.00/hr. for digital printing? Probably, not many.

That's why so many sign shops are going under. The numbers just don't work out. I am not an accountant, and I am not a numbers guy. But am I right?

The way I see it -- the only way to make this work, unless you have a much larger volume, is to outsource!

Locals Find!

Lots of Great Merchant Members on here to outsource too. I like Signs365 myself. You can afford to let them do all the printing and just do the sales. Run the numbers of doing it yourself against their wholesale prices and you won't even want to think about buying a printer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is a very delicate topic to be discussing these prices where any possible lurker or end-user can see it all in it's entirety.

You just kinda opened a can of worms and while you might not be doing yourself any harm, I'm sure there are end-users to some sign shops out there, which have just received quite a bit of good inside information.

Besides that, there are many Merchant Members who will sell to you , including us, but the other side of the coin is...... this. How much quality control do you have when someone else is producing end products ?? Until you have a good relationship built up with someone and unless you don't have finicky customers, this solution could very well backfire on you.

There are those who swear by it and rightfully so, but they're good at getting all the information to their vendors. However, the slightest thing go wrong, you could be out a lot of money after having to repeat an order if it's your fault. Make sure you fully understand what you are ordering and gonna give to your customer. When you are doing it in-house, you have far better control over these things, because you can see it first hand, while in someone else's shop, you might not realize when someone said 10 oz, they meant 10 mil rigid stock and not banner material.

How much work of this nature should be your first concern, not how much does it cost per unit.

lexsigns

so thanks for all the info- I had a post earlier about leasing a printer- but now I think I will wait a while and keep on outsourcing and skipping the headaches stress and expense.
I love my subs, and will deal for a while longer. I have been using for years and know what I get, know how to set up for them and dont have a quality issue. I will say that unless I start doing alot more full wraps outsourcing is the way to go for now.

I didnt even realize they had to be cleaned so often! Funny the suppliers dont mention maintenance, neither do the spec sheets..

eforer

I think the only reason these days to buy a printer is if you have a special and unique channel of business that demands very specific criteria that you can only meet printing in house. If I were starting over tomorrow, I wouldn't be in the large format printer operating business. In many ways now is a great time to get started because there are so many good opportunities with vendors. If you can sell and serve your customers you can be successful without ever turning on your own printer.

CWP

So, I just came across this post... Yeah, it gets real expensive, real fast. Even if you can amortize the of cost your printer, it still takes a hit on profits. Your margins are narrow, your turn around times are often unrealistic, and yes, your beautiful, expensive brand new printer will crap the bed on you right when you need it most. I pay almost $200 bucks a liter for my UVR inks and that just now started to include shipping. Let's not even talk about how much my laminator materials cost. Light block material is ridiculously expensive and heavy to ship... Then after I have it all ready to go, my CNC cutter decides it has a mind of its own and cuts a diagonal line through the center of my print. So, now I have to do it all over again... Yeah, fun. Oh, and Gino, I don't think we are giving away any trade secrets here. If your customers can't understand that you are running a business and not a charity then they are fools. No one works for free. That's called volunteering. And everything in this land has one cost from a supplier and another cost for a consumer. There are margins on everything...

SD&F

Gino.....I consider myself a lurker, although I am not interested in prices.
I just like to lurk, it's kinda turned into my daily hobby.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, I just came across this post... Yeah, it gets real expensive, real fast. Even if you can amortize the of cost your printer, it still takes a hit on profits. Your margins are narrow, your turn around times are often unrealistic, and yes, your beautiful, expensive brand new printer will crap the bed on you right when you need it most. I pay almost $200 bucks a liter for my UVR inks and that just now started to include shipping. Let's not even talk about how much my laminator materials cost. Light block material is ridiculously expensive and heavy to ship... Then after I have it all ready to go, my CNC cutter decides it has a mind of its own and cuts a diagonal line through the center of my print. So, now I have to do it all over again... Yeah, fun. Oh, and Gino, I don't think we are giving away any trade secrets here. If your customers can't understand that you are running a business and not a charity then they are fools. No one works for free. That's called volunteering. And everything in this land has one cost from a supplier and another cost for a consumer. There are margins on everything...

If you say so, then I'll believe it.