• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

crappy cuts on little letters

webguru

Nothing to do with the blade setup.....

In your shopping cart, under bottle color, Cobolt Blue should be Cobalt Blue

Thought you might like to correct it.

S'N'S

Not sure what you mean by shredding the vinyl, but heres what I know.
1. I would have thought you need to adjust the offset when changing the blade from a 45 to 60. If the cuts on letters such as o's & e's etc are not closing, its your offset, noticed yours is set at 0, try small increments.

2. Check that you haven't damaged the very tip of the blade with a magnifying glass.

3. If the cut is choppy, try spraying the tiny bearing in the blade holder with dw40 or innox. If it's sticky you will get a choppy cut.

4.If the badly cut section is only on one side of the vinyl, it could be the cutting strip.

Setting the blade depth.... I remove the blade holder and insert the new blade, then I hold the blade holder vertical like a pen and draw circles on scrap vinyl. Using hardly any pressure, it needs to cut thru the vinyl and just mark the backing paper. Install the blade holder and cut a star, adjust downforce if needed until it only cuts thru the vinyl and just marks the backing paper again. Using a small star (1/2") will soon tell if its not right as it will lift the pointed tips of the star.

Oh and 60deg are great for small text.

Cheers Gary

signmeup

Yeah.... when something "works perfect" I'm a happy camper and go on with getting stuff done. In other words, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Brandon708

First off your blade should not be sticking out of the holder like you described. The blade should barely stick out. Bump up your force and bring the blade down. Also your strip that the blade comes into contact with may be worn out.

OneUpTenn

I am having this same exact problem....Everything was working perfect and then I go and change the blade because it was getting old. Now every setting I had just went straight to the crapper. It does this almost everytime I change the blade. I have to adjust settings..usually not to this degree though.

I also am cutting metallic and it is frustrating how much you waste trying to do all these test cuts. I will tell you though...my force is hardly 18...when I cut metallic it is at least 30!!!! Not sure how you are cutting it on 18 but I guess every machine is different.

Out of desperation one day I did try cutting twice and it worked, but was extremely time consuming and I had never had to do that before so I was dissappointed that I had to do it, but anyway. Oh and I am using a 45 blade. Maybe I should try a 60??? hmmm