• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Creating profiles with Eye-One, Windows 8.1, Flexi Cloud

IsItFasst

I am trying to create a custom ICC profile using an Eye-One but when I get to the step that says "place on the ruler and press button..." an error message pops up saying please recalibrate. When I recalibrate I keep getting the same message as soon as I push the button. The eye-one seems to be working since I calibrated my monitor with it. Wondering if I am missing something?

FYI. I sent a message to Flexi support and got: "[FONT=&quot]The issue may be a conflict with Windows 8, I would check with Eye-One to see if they have an updated driver."

Well if that was the case then shouldn't it not be working for monitor calibration? In any case I'm upset over this because for years I have been told if I want accurate colors I need to create my own profiles. So I finally break down and purchase an Eye-0ne so I can do this only to be told pretty much that I am SOL.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

graphicwarning

I encountered this recently, BUT... was using Windows 7 running in a virtual machine on a Mac with Versaworks. Long story short... it was all with the USB drivers, and since it was sharing with the host OS (the Mac OS) it never would work right. I could calibrate the monitor, calibrate the device, and read colors for the Pantone Color Manager... but it would never scan in the rip, and it crashed or gave an error every time.

In the end I just loaded windows on a machine and used it, rather than try and use a virtual machine and it worked just fine. But it was the USB drivers that seemed to give me the issues.

I am trying to create a custom ICC profile using an Eye-One but when I get to the step that says "place on the ruler and press button..." an error message pops up saying please recalibrate. When I recalibrate I keep getting the same message as soon as I push the button. The eye-one seems to be working since I calibrated my monitor with it. Wondering if I am missing something?

FYI. I sent a message to Flexi support and got: "[FONT=&quot]The issue may be a conflict with Windows 8, I would check with Eye-One to see if they have an updated driver."

Well if that was the case then shouldn't it not be working for monitor calibration? In any case I'm upset over this because for years I have been told if I want accurate colors I need to create my own profiles. So I finally break down and purchase an Eye-0ne so I can do this only to be told pretty much that I am SOL.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Is this an i1Pro device or an i1Pro2 unit? See attached image if not sure.

Either model is compatible with Windows 8, and the OS drivers load with i1Profiler software, which I am assuming that you used to profile the display with, correct?

Attachments

• two-i1pro.jpg
    two-i1pro.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 109

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Also keep in mind - the lamp in the i1 devices does age and will eventually wear out. As with any bulb (in your desk lamps, ceiling fixtures, etc) over time the heat attracts particles in the air slightly discoloring the bulb and the fixture. This site mentions it...

http://blog.xritephoto.com/2012/06/...-myers-on-the-new-i1-pro-2-spectrophotometer/

The original i1 Pro is very difficult to clean due to the fixed head. On the new Pro 2 that is removable to allow one to clean the optics. I have found on the older i1 Pro that you can also poke a cotton swab in around the optics as well to try and clean things up a little. One way to be sure if the issue is not with the i1 is to install and run the i1 Diagnostics software. That will run a series of tests on the device.

It is also quite possible that there is just some other issue related to drivers. One thing to also note is the i1 draws a good bit of USB power. It is best to not plug it into an extension cable nor a front USB port. Best is one of the USB ports directly on the computers motherboard on the rear and preferable to not have it sharing the "usb hub" with any other devices which might mean switching other USB devices around.

phototec

Also keep in mind - the lamp in the i1 devices does age and will eventually wear out. As with any bulb (in your desk lamps, ceiling fixtures, etc) over time the heat attracts particles in the air slightly discoloring the bulb and the fixture. This site mentions it...

http://blog.xritephoto.com/2012/06/...-myers-on-the-new-i1-pro-2-spectrophotometer/

The original i1 Pro is very difficult to clean due to the fixed head. On the new Pro 2 that is removable to allow one to clean the optics. I have found on the older i1 Pro that you can also poke a cotton swab in around the optics as well to try and clean things up a little. One way to be sure if the issue is not with the i1 is to install and run the i1 Diagnostics software. That will run a series of tests on the device.

It is also quite possible that there is just some other issue related to drivers. One thing to also note is the i1 draws a good bit of USB power. It is best to not plug it into an extension cable nor a front USB port. Best is one of the USB ports directly on the computers motherboard on the rear and preferable to not have it sharing the "usb hub" with any other devices which might mean switching other USB devices around.

:goodpost:WOW, some very good tips in your post!

Can you please elaborate on cleaning the i1Pro with a cotton swab (poke where?), I would like to try and clean mine.

Thanks

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
First and foremost - I bear no responsibility if you damage your device. On the original i1 device you can remove the main aperture cover by rotating it to the RIGHT about 3/16 of an inch. This cover has a glass lens which you can clean. Once removed you can then also see the inner center lens and the silver ring around it. The inner side of that silver ring is a mirror surface. At one point my i1 was failing one of the diagnostics (I think it was one of the reflectance tests). Being adventurous I dug in and I noticed on mine that the lenses and the mirror had become slightly dirty over time. It is a very tight squeeze to get a swab in there as shown. I used one moistened with 99% isopropyl alcohol. The outer mirror has a divider - you have 3 sections to clean. You can clean the outer mirror, the inner lens as well as the lens on the cover part. If you are feeling really adventurous you can remove the 3 screws on the bottom (breaking the warranty seal), remove the upper cover and from there you can clean the top of the actual lamp as well as the upper mirror. That gets delicate - you can very carefully remove the upper mirror by very very gently (I imagine breaking one would be near catastrophic) releasing the 3 clips. I have not attempted to go any further than this although I imagine you could remove the senor module (in the white foam block with the fiber optic line to it and the mirror/lamp assembly and break things down even further. I have no idea on the exact specs for the lamp (and I doubt Gretag will give you that) so I think trying to source and replace the lamp yourself is probably not viable without knowing the specific color temperature, composition, size, and wattage/voltage of the bulb. You can also just contact Gretag and for a fee you can ship the device off to them to be re-lamped. I forget how much that costs but I think it is a couple hundred bucks.

Anyways after cleaning mine passes its diagnostics perfectly. I strongly recommend against doing this unless your device is long past its warranty, has a few years of age on it, is failing the diagnostics, and you are not terribly worried if you happen to make it even worse....

Attachments

• i1a.jpg
    i1a.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 106
  • i1b.jpg
    i1b.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 105

IsItFasst

Sorry for the delay on this. I wasn't getting notifications and the last month has been hectic.

Mine is a first gen device. My driver tells me it's up to date if I try and update it. When I calibrate it I don't get any messages or errors. Not sure if something is supposed to pop up and tell me something either way but it essentially tells me it's calibrating in the pop up window then disappears.

When I get to the step that says place on the ruler and press the button is when the problem occurs. It seems nothing happens when I press the button as the error message about recalibrating appears instantly when I press the button. It doesn't seem to have time to do anything. These instructions aren't real clear so I am just placing it on the white part next to the numbers (I assumed that was the ruler) so maybe I am missing something?

I will also try and clean the lens if this sounds like it's the problem. Great write up BTW.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
If I'm right you are at the step to scan in some color patches. If so, you start with it on some blank white material just to the left of the row you need to scan, press and hold the button and slide it across the entire row going just past the last color onto blank white material again, then release the button.

IsItFasst

If I'm right you are at the step to scan in some color patches. If so, you start with it on some blank white material just to the left of the row you need to scan, press and hold the button and slide it across the entire row going just past the last color onto blank white material again, then release the button.

Yes, then it sounds like I'm doing it right. It just gives that error as soon as I touch that button.

AF

Call X-Rite and they will tell you how to run a diagnostic on the device. Assuming the device passes the diagnostic test, I would suggest trying a different USB cable and different USB port. One of my machines has a USB port that simply won't work with the i1, but the other ports do. I even run our i1 off a 15' cable without issue. With a bad cable or port, you can get all sorts of problems when you hit the button on the i1. If you just got the i1 used, you may need to send it in to X-Rite for service. If the seller used the device until it burned out and sold it as-is, shame on them for not disclosing the condition of the device. Good luck.

IsItFasst

It's just some standard orajet material. When using their profiles the red seems kinda faded. I can use some other profiles that print red properly but some of the other colors don't print right. Would like to get a profile to work properly since I've just been "making stuff work" for years now. Decided to do it right and it isn't working.

I'll try the new cable/port recommendation tomorrow. I did buy used so maybe it's shot. Wonder how much they charge to rebuild/fix if it is?

AF

I wouldn't give up on it. There is a certain finesse to using them. Once the connectivity and driver issues are resolved, you need to learn the little tricks that make them go. Some patch charts have gaps and some don't have gaps, certain materials would prefer one style to the other to get proper reads. Even the way you hold it it and how fast you scan can cause issues. I would suggest gently wiggling the USB cord where it enters the i1 to make sure the signal isn't lost. If the port is funky, it will cause failures the moment you calibrate and go to scan something. I would get in touch with X-Rite tech to see if you can run their diagnostic. The results will clear up what maintenance the unit may need.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
You can download the diagnostics software for it from the xrite website as well as the most current drivers for it. http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?Action=support&ID=1014

And AF is correct it that it can be finicky about the USB port it is on. The lamp in them draws a good bit of power and it works best if it is not on a shared port. By shared I mean your PC probably has 2 or 3 USB controllers, each of which is tied to one or two of the USB ports on the computer (front or rear). The computer will not indicate which ports are shared with another on a controller. It is best though to use a rear USB port - if you want to get adventurous you can look in Windows Device Manager to see what is on a controller with another device. Each controller will have a Hub which will be for two or more physical USB ports. Look under Universal Serial Bus Controllers then double click each Root Hub, then click the Power tab. From there you can see what is connected to a particular controllers hub. It will take trial and error to move USB connections around to isolate it. Attached shows mine on a controller hub by itself. On my workstation - it does not work properly on one of the front ports (even though it is still not on a shared hub), I think because the front ports are not capable of providing as much power as the ports directly on the motherboard.

If you got the fold up base for reading color charts in that also help some to keep it in line just right when scanning the strips in but is not required. Also they usually come with a weight thingy to hang it on your monitor for profiling your monitor. Does make it easier for full monitor profiling but not mandatory. You can just hold it against the screen where you need to. Another thing most are not aware of - you can also use it in the designer part of Flexi to scan a custom color in. Under the View menu choose Color>Color Specs - on that screen there is a measure button.... Choose New first so you do not overwrite one of Flexi's built in colors - give it a name and choose the mode (I prefer Lab since that is the most accurate). Also - make sure you have your i1 selected and calibrated under Edit>Preferences>Tools first though... Its not an exacting thing though. I've seen where others expect it to be dead on with a Pantone color value for example. You can make a square or whatever and assign it a Pantone Spot color then look at that spot colors Lab values. Then take an actual Pantone book and measure that exact same color with the device and it is NOT going to give you the exact same value. It will be close but not exact. For example in this test I just scanned 186C from the Pantone book and put it next to a shape filled with the Pantone built in 186C spot color. It is very close. The built in spot color Lab values are 45, 68, 40 - the scanned lab values from the Pantone book for the same color scanned as 44, 67, 43. Close enough for me. The one on the left (selected) is what I just scanned in from the Pantone book, the one on the right is the pre-defined Pantone spot color.

I know a LOT of people on this site simply hate FlexiSign. That being said - I think the majority of those have never really dug into it's depths and got it configured just right. Flexi uses the APPE as it's RIP engine (they actually license the Adobe PDF Print Engine) so its no real surprise that Flexi really prints best with RGB files, specifically RGB files with the Adobe RGB profile assigned to them. Most RIPs charge you extra for every little thing. Flexi has full support for an i1 and profiling built in, color measuring is built in, supporting multiple printers and cutters is built in, etc.

Attachments

• i1.jpg
    i1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 122
  • flexi-1.jpg
    flexi-1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 100
  • flexi-2.jpg
    flexi-2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 90
The last one I sent into XRite cost $400

I send mine every year to have it re-certified. You will send it to their plant in Michigan. When they are certifying it, if they find something wrong with it they will also fix it, they have always done that as part of the $400. Sometimes they can't fix it onsite in Michigan and they will actually ship it to their plant in Switzerland to have it repaired. I've had several that went to Switzerland when the thumb button on the side stopped working. Be prepared for it to be gone for about two weeks.

IsItFasst

Finally see the problem during diagnostics. It passes everything except:

Reflectance Spot calibration: Fail

I've tried several different USB ports, cables, along with cleaning with no luck. I may try on a different computer just to make sure my USB ports have enough power. But I even tried a powered USB hub with no luck.