• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Critique my Card - Round 2

QualitySigns

No need to get testy Forge. I said previously that my logo on the FRONT is not going to change. I have asked repeatedly for opinions on the various designs for the back of my card. The key thing to consider here is that it is the BACK of the card; and a business card is a marketing tool.

The BACK of a business card is a great place to list what a company does, as sometimes the card is handed out in situations or left in various locations where it is not possible to go into detail VERBALLY about what a business' services are.

Would I put all of that information on a sign? Or, on my vehicle? Heck no. There is a place for it - like on the BACK of a business card.

Now, are you going to give me some constructive criticism on the visual appeal of my cards; or are you going to sit there and grumble? :)

S'N'S

I like the last set and just to be different to the rest I think the list is ok to have on the back, my cards do. Its amazing how many times I've handed out cards and the persons said "oh I notice on your card you do such & such, I didn't know that".
I say "if that's what you want on the back of your card, then do it"

QualitySigns

Lose the blue bolt design maybe separate your name and number on the front in a panel

Thank you; I will consider your comments. Interesting idea for the back. I like how the white "swoosh?" points to the web address. I'm going to tinker with that idea.

grafixemporium

You've got too much redundancy on the back. Part of our job as designers is copywriting. The job of a copywriter in advertising is to get the point across is as few, memorable words as possible.

Some things to consider...

"Signs, Banners, Vehicle Signs" - really? Vehicle signs?

"vinyl lettering & graphics" followed by "custom vinyl decals" - pretty much the same thing, right?

"lighted sign faces" -- is that not covered under signs? If not, then maybe you could just say electrical signs.

"logo and graphic design" followed by "advertising design" - wtf? now it seems like you're just throwing buzz words around to fill up the card. Totally redundant. Graphic design is graphic design pretty much.

You need to realize that your potential clients are not all idiots. They can figure out some of this on their own.

Bottom line is your name "quality signs and design" probably covers about 95% of what you do. Leave a little mystery so you potential clients have a reason to go to your website or call your shop.

Love the front of the card. It looks great!

Andrew

QualitySigns

Graphixemporium: Great food for thought. Thanks! I tell my customers all the time to say it in as few words as possible. Perhaps I should take my own advise? I don't know about you, but I find it much more difficult to design something for myself - it never looks right; it's never good enough...

John Butto

Post #6

Seems like you did not even read the back of the card that I laid out in post #6 and it proves a point that nobody else is going to either.

Jillbeans

I only looked at the italics, but did not read anything.
There is way too much copy (never use & MORE)
I'd use something in from the edges like Adrian's example.
I'm a big fan of plain black and white, and maybe a touch of greyscale, on the back of a bizcard.
I also don't think you need any of the add-ons, such as a coupon, or the initial logo, on the back.
Totally agree with Forge's views.
And I agree with Bob about the things around "and Design" on the front, especially the orange dot. Just too many doo-dads.

Fanaticus

I once read that using exclamation points is comparable to laughing at your own joke when it's not funny. Exclamation points make things look hokey and spammy (cheap and eager to make a sale and will probably lead to regret and disappointment).

I use them sometimes in my sales letters or item descriptions, but only when I want to trigger a response from people who are looking for something cheap and spammy. This type of people usually are unwilling to spend any real money (always looking for the cheapest), but often times expect top quality then blame you for selling them less than they expected.

Like people who won't spend more than $300 for a wrap, then complain when it looks like crap and falls off a couple weeks later. They like exclamation points.

ForgeInc

Please give me your comments, both positive and negative. Thank you in advance!

Now, are you going to give me some constructive criticism on the visual appeal of my cards; or are you going to sit there and grumble? :)

Ugh, I feel like giving up on providing feedback any more! WHy does everyone post ideas and want an "atta boy" or a pat on the back? I did give you give you constructive feedback, up to you whether you choose to follow it or not.

Want me to sugar coat it a bit for you, so it's easier to handle? Ok here goes:

"Dear Quality Signs. In my humble opinion, while the front of your card and your logo also need some help, I will only provide feedback on the back of your card, though you never mentioned in your original post this is what you desire. I feel while it is a solid attempt and a good exercise in practicing your text layout skills, perhaps you should consider some editing and try and separate yourself from your design a bit. Not only does your layout look a bit tacky and crowded, pretty much everything you say on the back is already covered by your business name. (which in itself is pretty unoriginal) If you want to market to the cheap crowd, who know nothing about signs, design, or advertising (think of those searching in the yellow pages for anyone offering low prices or a coupon) I this card is spot on! However, if you want to position yourself as a bit more refined and therefore target a larger business, higher-end clientele, maybe you should reference business cards of similar sized companies and perhaps look at editing or cleaning up your personal design.

What I would suggest, is to leave your logo on the front of the card, and have all your contact info on the back in nice clean way that DOESN'T use italics or exclamation points. Your card will look a LOT more refined that way."

Does that sound better?

signswi

K.i.s.s.

Attachments

• Business-Card-Back-simple.jpg
    Business-Card-Back-simple.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 59

QualitySigns

To Forge and everyone else who participated:

I just want to tell you that I DO appreciate your comments. You all know, as well as I do, how much is lost when typing up an e-mail or blog post. I am certainly going to take your comments to heart and come up with a decent card in the end. I may not agree with everything, but hey, that's what makes us all unique. I find it very difficult to design something for myself; and like Forge said, I need to step back from the design and look at it without blinders on.

Once again, I appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Last edited:

Biker Scout

With the above posts that mention too wordy, I'd have to agree. I didn't really read any of your bullet points, until now. Because, frankly it was a crowd of white text. Which is why I suggested making it smaller, assuming that you knew your business and the services you offered. But yeah, some of the listed services are already "Catch All" phrases for other items listed.

Signs • Advertising • Design • Lettering

That's pretty much all your card needs to say. If a potential client has a question about anything else you might offer, that's the perfect avenue for you to strike up a dialog about your business and services offered. Otherwise, most people can just visit your website. And as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Biker Scout

Actually, just thought of this as well... your business name already included signs and design. No need to repeat those.

Advertising Services • Decals & Lettering • Wide Format Printing

BAM! Done.

QualitySigns

Actually, just thought of this as well... your business name already included signs and design. No need to repeat those.

Advertising Services • Decals & Lettering • Wide Format Printing

BAM! Done.

Like I mentioned, my blinders are off now and I CAN SEE! I CAN SEE! Thank you for your ideas. Even before I read your post, I was working on a three bullet point service list. You gave me more to think about.