• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Current Project

jlowe

Have a new customer with a small box van looking for a clean retro-ish design, sent me what he had so far for a logo and let me have control of design (my favorite type of customer). I'm just looking for a critique please, break it down and let me know what you think and don't be nice, this is my first layout post!

First Image is his original, second is my current proof to him

Attachments

• logo.jpg
    logo.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 109
  • PROOF2.jpg
    PROOF2.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 91

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't like the original at all. Possibly if things were changed it might be better.

As for yours.... you need much more contrast from the red on blue and the blue on blue. You're relying too much on small tricks and from a distance, it won't read at all. Just look at the thumbnail and it's impossible to read it. Looking at that thumbnail would be like looking at it from across the street.

I like the concept, but the colors need work.

Also, regardless of what the original was.... the spacing for the name is clumsy with no space before the N' and so much after it.

Craig Sjoquist

Well there is nothing RETRO about your design/layout ..excuse

Go to Dan Antonelli website he has done the most amount of retro design that I know of expertly ..You will see fonts, styles, colors, image plus outstanding design/layout skills.

The internet is so cool, never had the wealth of knowledge we do now to see learn from.

Joe Diaz

Gino's right, your design needs work in the contrast department. Once you fix that it will be a nice improvement over the old layout.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
your 'water' splash on your layout is white and grey ... doesn't come off as water. change the grey to a bluish color and you will get the perceived water effect. also just because you can do a fade doesn't mean you need to do a fade ... and if you do fade some text .. make sure your double outline isn't the same tone range as the fade on one side (aka CONTRAST) and you really need to ask him what he means by retro ... there is 50's retro, and all the way through the 80's retro ... find a decade style or just say it's stylized and don't mention retro.

OldPaint

MY EYES, MY EYES...it hurts my eyes....to many shades, fades and blends.......fonts suck. the PRO FRESH N' ALL........need a complete remake. try designing it in BLACK N' WHITE. then you can add color, instead of starting with color and adding text.

JR's

I like the concept. And I like that script, but it's always been a favorite of mine.
But you do need some contrast. The color values are too close to one another.
I would make pro-fresh and all bigger by 10% and I would fix the kerning between the N and All.
I would change the type of script on serving the Dallas area. Something light weight.
Residential and commercial I would use a lighter sans serif to give it some breathing room.
You have a drop shadow on both sides of the oval equal I would make one bigger than the other.
The water splash is good if the color is blue and not gray.

But the logo/layout looks good to me. Light years ahead of what he had.
And it took a lot of guts to post something up on here. I do not do it often because I get my feelings hurt LOL :)

JR