• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut help

jason91

I got a sp 300v and I'm having some cutting issues (after printing crop marks and laminating). The graphics are only 2ft long so it's not that the printer and the cutting is really spread out? Its off bad on the scan the length of the vinyl tall (i think that's scan???) I did a print cut adjust...got it dead on...went into service menu..did print cut adjust...got it dead on between the 3 black squares...Its still way off??? Cleaned the eye of the scanner??? What's the problem? Please help??

ova

Many posts as to what your problems might be, but I'll try to help. Scan is left to right, feed is front to back.

Some areas to check: Scan
1. Dirty encoder strip
2. Dirty sensor that reads the encoder strip
3. Print/cut calibration needs adjusted
4. Loose traverse cable (located in front of the ecoder strip)

Feed:
1. Worn, dirty, or glazed pinch rollers
2. Pinch roll lever not tight enough
3. Media is skewing in the rollers
4. Print/cut calibration needs adjusted

Try slowing your cut speed down. If there is no problems with what is listed above, go to the menu. Scroll until you come to Factory Default. Hit enter. After doing this, you will need to do another print/cut test and adjust it accordingly.

Hope this will help

Dave

jason91

Then the scan is what's off....Where is the sensor that reads the encoder strip?
print cut adjust is good already checked it?
What do you need to tighten the cable?

ova

I'm having a hard time following what you're saying. If you have already done the print/cut adjust and everything is good, then there should be no problem.

What does "the length of the vinyl tall mean"?

"Cleaned the eye of the scanner" I take this as meaning you have already cleaned the sensor that reads the encoder. It's located on the top of the cutting head and straddles the encoder strip.

Adjusting the cable tension requires a spring loaded scale that hangs off of the cable. There's a magic number they go by to adjust it. Never did it myself, but watched the service tech.

I would think that if your cut is off only on the the scan side, you're looking at a bad encoder strip or dirty/bad sensor.

Actually, I'm still a little lost as to what your problem really is.

Sorry
Dave

jason91

I'm having a hard time following what you're saying. If you have already done the print/cut adjust and everything is good, then there should be no problem.

What does "the length of the vinyl tall mean"?

"Cleaned the eye of the scanner" I take this as meaning you have already cleaned the sensor that reads the encoder. It's located on the top of the cutting head and straddles the encoder strip.

Adjusting the cable tension requires a spring loaded scale that hangs off of the cable. There's a magic number they go by to adjust it. Never did it myself, but watched the service tech.

I would think that if your cut is off only on the the scan side, you're looking at a bad encoder strip or dirty/bad sensor.

Actually, I'm still a little lost as to what your problem really is.

Sorry
Dave

Sorry I'm not explaining it very well...I guess what I'm saying is the scan part is off...the feed seems to be fine. I cleaned the eye that actually reads the crop marks (attached to the cutter). Not the one that reads the encoder strio...didn't know there was one up there??
What I don't understand is when i do a print cut (with no crop marks) it does fine...but when i laminate and bring it back to cut....the scan part is off from and 1/8 to 1/4 inch???
I did a print cut adj in service menu and got it perfect (all 3 black squares were the same and perfectly in the center)....but when i go search crop marks and cut its off??? Understand?

ova

Understand now. Couple of things to try.

1. Take a flash light and check the encoder strip for ink residue or splash.
If you find any, clean it with iso alcohol only on a lint free towel. Do not rub a try towel across it. It will scratch.

2. Use the flash light to see if the sensor has any obstructions causing it to misread. If there is any, you can clean it by taking it out, but be very careful and pay attention how it comes out. There's a tit that sticks up by the screw hole that has to be put back in just the right place so it's aligned properly. [can't believe I just wrote it that way. Hope you're not a girl]

3. Try reprinting the same job with crop marks but do not take it out of the machine. Just run it back so the printer can find the registration marks and cut the job.

Did you try the Factory Default in the menu? Try this also. Remember to check all of your calibration settings because they will go back to zero after doing the Factory Default.

Other than everything I said, I don't know of anything else that will help you. If you didn't already, do a search on here. There are many posts for this particular printer and this problem.

Good Luck
Dave

CentralSigns

Print and cut settings are different from crop mark print and cut settings. you didn't mention if you set up settings for print and cut from crop marks. Sometimes the print and cut is 100% bang on but the crop mark print and cut is way off. Try adjusting the crop mark print and cut settings. Menu-cutting menu, cutting menu-crop-cut adj

Last edited: