• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cut non pvc vinyl with laser

bigben

I was wondering if i lay down a non pvc vinyl on acrylic and cut it with a laser, do I still have chances to mess the laser like regular vinyl? If yes, what would be to other option other than paint or direct print with a flatbed?

SignManiac

My understanding is that it's okay as long as there isn't any of the (V) vinyl in the material. I just put into inventory, several 4x8x1/4" sheets of acrylic in an assortment of colors so I can just cut letters or graphics in any of those color choices. Black, white, brown, ivory, dark blue and green, yellow.

i also found 6" wide rolls of double sided mounting tape. I put that on the bottom side of the acrylic, cut my letters out, then all you do is peel the paper backing off and stick in place. Makes for really fast dimensional letter application.

for custom colors, I use base white then shoot with Matthews.

Ghost Prophet

Laser cut from the vinyl or direct print side, make sure you apply a layer of transfer tape first to protect the edges of the vinyl and ink. I have laser cut both PVC and non-PVC based vinyls with a 400watt Kern with great success. While it's not advised to laser PVC based vinyl (or anything with PVC), it can be done rather safely without damage to the lens if you can apply enough air pressure and have a good exhaust system.

I know this thread is old, but better late than never? :)