• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutter Issues

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
We have the Q54 (same as Graphtec FC). Having a bad time getting it to cut correctly all of a sudden. I think I have it narrowed down to a bad worn out blade holder, but am troubleshooting other things. Can someone tell me, if you jiggle it, is it normal for the carriage to rock back and forth a little bit, like maybe about 1/8" worth? I think something is loose making the entire carriage move and causing the horrible cuts. If it's normal to have some play (forward to back), then I can scratch that off the list.

Thanks in advance!

The carriage should be relatively hard to move in any direction when it is on and loaded. If there is play this is most definetly the problem. Is the play in the pin holder or the whole carriage itself. There are rollers on the top that may have come loose.

Jburns

My FC7000 carriage looks the same- does not move like that. I tried moving just like you did in the video.

eahicks

My FC7000 carriage looks the same- does not move like that. I tried moving just like you did in the video.

Thanks....that's what I figured. But I can't tell why this is so loose. Plotter is only 2 years old.

Jburns

It must be the bearings on the back rail--take the black cover off with the phillips screws- you can see more.

Thanks....that's what I figured. But I can't tell why this is so loose. Plotter is only 2 years old.

First you have to take that cover off. A couple screws on either side. From the way it moves it looks like the bottom rail is loose or you have bad bearings like someone else said. There are rollers on the bottom that wrap to the back of the carriage. If that makes sense. Thats where I believe it's loose. That is definitely your problem though.

eahicks

Shot a quick video of the carriage. Tell me if this is normal. I've taken the cover off the carriage, all screws are still tight and in tact, all the rollers are in place. So.....

Done that

Done that

Well without being there it is hard to tell exactly what is loose. YOu will have to do some digging. Might be possible the track itself is loose but my bet is either on broken bearings or loose rollers on the carriage. THe metal part that loops to the back and holds the bottom feet on might be loose. So the carriage is moving away from the bracket not the actual feet. Just hard to tell. Definetly something with the bottom portion of the cutter carriage assembly.

thewvsignguy

We have the same cutter (a Q54) and it does not move like that. Ours is solid and does not budge at all.

If there is something you want me to look at and compare just let me know

eahicks

The track is one piece, so the wheels ride across the top and bottom of it. The wheels have no slack to them, and the bearings seem fine, as they all roll smoothly. But hard to tell without tearing in to this more and taking the carriage completely off. At least now I know this movement is not normal. Thanks to all

eahicks

ALL FIXED. Took the whole top cover of the plotter off, exposing the entire carriage and the rail. The carriage has a bracket on the top where the top rollers attach. There are 4 screws holding the rollers, and I loosened those, pushed the bracket and rollers down, and re-tightened the screws. I guess they just work loose over time. Now it's snug as a bug.