• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutters/Blades

ericheartsu

Hi All! I run a Roland Versacamm VS300I 30" printer. We primarily print decals on General Formulations Calendered Vinyl. Currently we run all of our cuts, simple and complex through our printer, and as some of you may have guessed, we are tearing through blades and cutting strips.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a better blade, that might last longer for complex cuts? Right now we purchase our blades from Graphic Solutions Group, which is our local roland dealer in Houston. They seem to be much smaller and thinner than the Roland Factory supplied blade.

Also for our square and rectangle cuts, we are currently doing them on the printer as mentioned before, and I was wondering what type of stationary cutter we should be looking at? Does anyone have any advice on what would work well with what we are doing?

thanks in advance!

reQ

Your blade is not set correctly. General rule - tip of the blade don't have to stick out from blade holder for more than thickness of credit card.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Your blade is not set correctly. General rule - tip of the blade don't have to stick out from blade holder for more than thickness of credit card.

Credit Card? Thar's way too much blade unless you're cutting sheets of bog knows what.

Put a new blade in the holder.

Crank it back so that it's all the way inside the cutter.

Bring it out a wee bit and try it. Hold the blade holder as vertically as possible and with small but constant pressure drag it over a piece of scrap vinyl. The simplest and most telling thing to drag is a five pointed star.

Weed off all of the pieces you cut, if you can, and examine the backer sheet for indentations but not cuts. If you can't weed the pieces bring the blade out a bit more. If you're cutting into the backer sheet than back off the blade a bit. Repeat until the blade is out just far enough.

When the blade is properly exposed you'll have a hard time even seeing it if you look edge on. It most certainly won't be out the thickness of a credit card.

reQ

Yeah, my bad lol. half of that thickness (even went and checked my blade set lol)

ericheartsu

Currently to finish our decals we have to cut through the backing paper. So i'm looking for better ways to do it on simpler cuts!

player

When you say you are cutting out the backer paper, could you explain this please?

Are you perf cutting?