• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting custom shapes out out of Max Metal

PRS Bryan

Lately I have been cutting more complex shapes out of Max Metal.

My current method is to print a template on cheap vinyl and cut it with a jigsaw. It works OK but I was wondering if others have successfully tried other tools to get the job done. I was considering buying a trim router router and using a straight bit. I am not quite ready to buy a cnc plasma cutter.

Any ideas or tricks?

J Hill Designs

plasma wouldn't be the right tool either - just a normal CNC router is

I usually use a paper pattern and sprayglue it down, or just use the print as a guide (masked with transfer tape) and cut with jigsaw

using a handheld router would be difficult unless you use a flush trim bit, but then you would need a template out of 1/2" MDF or the like first

Many sign supply houses will route the shape for you very cheaply. I'd suggest one for you, but I don't know where a long lonesome highway east of Omaha is exactly.

PRS Bryan

I am a literal guy, east of Omaha is western Iowa. I am not trying to be obtuse it is actually where I am.

I would appreciate the recommendation if you have the time.

Thanks.

Also check out the shopbot forum. They have the 100,000 garages program where you can locate a shopbot owner near you that will likely do router work cheap. I have a guy here I use until I can justify my own CNC. Many of these guys are looking for work to use their CNC

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I you have to cut them yourself, a Cutawl is the sovereign tool. That's what they're made for but not cheap and not sold on every street corner. They've been making essentially the same tool for a 100 years or so, I have no idea as to why they're so pricey.. Once you use a Cutawl, you'll never reach for a jigsaw again. If I didn't have a Cutawl, or two, my preference, in descending order, would be a band saw, a jigsaw, and a far distant third, a scroll saw.

Although I inexplicably own two Cutawls, my local supplier will CNC cut anything I need from a dxf file. A format exported by Flexi and Corel. They only charge a nominal setup/cleanup fee regardless of how many of what get cut from a sheet.I'd much rather that they do it than me but I can if I have to. I learned to live with a 1/8" minimum inside radius a long time ago.