• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Mutiple Decals at one time

rsdauer

I have a client that is asking me to make 1000 decals of each digit about 1" wide by 2" tall. They want all of them cut down into stacks of 100 per digit. I have devised a way to hold 20 together in rows of about 18 and using a razor to cut between. I am looking for any additional ideas as to how I can cut this down quickier.

Thanks in advance.
Richard

Fanaticus

I've got one similar to that. It does a nice job for trimming decals, but I don't think it could handle 20 layers of decal vinyl. Even 20 sheets of plain copy paper takes some effort and ends up with a bit of a rough edge. But it does make it faster, and safer, than using a razor by hand and once you get in the groove it goes pretty quick.

I'd love to get something like one of these.... http://www.machine-solution.com/category/Electric-Automatic-Paper-Cutting-Machines

Dennis422

I've got one similar to that. It does a nice job for trimming decals, but I don't think it could handle 20 layers of decal vinyl. Even 20 sheets of plain copy paper takes some effort and ends up with a bit of a rough edge. But it does make it faster, and safer, than using a razor by hand and once you get in the groove it goes pretty quick.

I'd love to get something like one of these.... http://www.machine-solution.com/category/Electric-Automatic-Paper-Cutting-Machines

I've cut 4 layers of laminated Oracal 3651 with no problem.
No need to cut 20 layers, but I would bet that it can cut 7-8 layers of weeded vinyl with no issues. It beats cutting it with a ruller and a blade.

Gene@mpls

Welcome to signs 101.

Cut into strips leaving a bit of space on one end - staple together, then trim using a guillotine.

Done and done....and if you pay attention you end up with nice perfect stacks.

We've got a couple guillotines....but I would buy the most heavy duty and expensive one you can afford. If you're running decal orders every day that thing will be as useful of a tool as your printer or plotter.

This- we bought a Chinese 12" guillotine for about $300 that will cut 30-40-50
at a time easily. Weighs a ton. The long table on the left folds down to take
6' stacks of stapled strips.

Attachments

• DSC06421.JPG
    DSC06421.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 84

Bill Modzel

I use a 75 year old paper cutter, (non OSHA approved). That I can easily cut 100 sheets
of vinyl at a time. I generally print 30" x 32" sheets on the roll, load then in my Graphtec to do my contour cutting. Than I hand cut them into sheets using the registration marks that were printed from Cutting Master. I can load the whole job and chop them out into individual decals ready to package up.

rsdauer

Thanks for all of the suggestions all! I didn't mention that when I am at the stage of cutting them down they are already pre-masked. I have tried a guillotine (a small one for testing) I noticed that it rolls over the pre-mask glue to the opposing decal. And then they are stuck together. I had an idea of making a small "chop saw" set up and using a blade similar to a meat slicer. ???