• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Order - Versaworks/Adobe Illustrator

Custom_Grafx

Please see attached pic. The real file in question, is a range of random small shapes like this - the area is 1500mm x 600mm or so.

- Customer supplied vector art (illustrator)

- The order of objects (there are around 570), when viewed in the layers
pallette, are very far apart

- Versaworks obviously takes its info in the layers order of illustrator, so is cutting one shape, then has to move 1000mm to cut the next shape

- This obviously wastes a lot of time

- I cannot split up the cutting into sections. It must be cut in one hit.

- My question is, If I split the art into say 4 quarters in illustrator, by creating a layer for each quarter, will the hierarchy of versaworks cutting order interpret this as "cut layer 1 first, then move to layer 2? I suppose I can test this on a smaller scale to find out, but just wondering if anyone has any experience with a similar matter, running the same setup (VW and Ai).

Attachments

• CIRCLES.jpg
    CIRCLES.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 182

Malkin

I am very nearly sure that yes, it will cut the layers in order.
The items on the bottom of the layer stack will cut first.

Custom_Grafx

Thanks Malkin I hope so. If they want more of these later on, I was even thinking it worthwhile to manually rearrange the layers, which I wasn't looking forward to.

Thankfully I was able to up the upspeed during the job which was better than nothing but still, the job took much longer than it should have.

I will test out this work around and report back with results.

It would be nice if vw could somehow auto optimize that kind of thing.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Will Versaworks reorder the cut of a single layer or color?
I don't have vw but Flexi has this option in the program manager.
If vw did you could merge down to a single layer and get the best sort order.

wayne k
guam usa

Custom_Grafx

It's currently on a single layer, but it's obviously been authored in a random manner - from top to bottom, left to right, so the layer order is all over the place.

There are no options for layer ordering in VW that I am aware of.

I am also unaware of any filters or plug ins for Ai which optimise the order of objects so that they are layered in order of relative distance to each other.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Gotcha,
Do you have access to CorelDraw (X3 and up)?
http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66315
Might be worth picking up a copy plus the plug-in if you need to do a lot of those types of files. If they are on their way to the plotter a round trip through Draw shouldn't cause any issues. I do all my cut files in Corel and drop them into Flexi for plotting.

good luck with this

wayne k
guam usa

Malkin

I once had a similar job, 600-700 random words/objects spread over (3) 4' x 12' print/cut runs. I decided to optimize the cutting order for faster production/better registration.

Basically I just got real familiar with the "send to back" shortcut key, starting with the objects to cut last and finishing with the ones to cut first. Took a while, but the results were worth it.

Custom_Grafx

Gotcha,
Do you have access to CorelDraw (X3 and up)?
http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66315
Might be worth picking up a copy plus the plug-in if you need to do a lot of those types of files. If they are on their way to the plotter a round trip through Draw shouldn't cause any issues. I do all my cut files in Corel and drop them into Flexi for plotting.

good luck with this

wayne k
guam usa

Wow that's a great plug in to know about. My laser actually automatically optimizes rather well fortunately but still great to have for the roland.

I use x3 so this should work fine.

This has made me curious to know if there is maybe a nesting plug in for corel or ai. I'm guessing there must be.

Thank you for the tip!

Custom_Grafx

I once had a similar job, 600-700 random words/objects spread over (3) 4' x 12' print/cut runs. I decided to optimize the cutting order for faster production/better registration.

Basically I just got real familiar with the "send to back" shortcut key, starting with the objects to cut last and finishing with the ones to cut first. Took a while, but the results were worth it.

That's a good way to do it, I hadn't thought of that! Will keep in mind for next time. This artwork would be pretty time consuming though sigh.

That x3 plug in is looking pretty good.

Custom_Grafx

Ok, it worked :)

I split the artwork up into 8 layers from top to bottom.

Select, group, cut, create new layer, paste in new layer, repeat in 8 segments.

Roland is now happily cutting in order from top to bottom :)