• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cutting speed chart

mitch2374

I use a Gerber sabre 408 and I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a chart that suggests cutting speeds for substrates and their thicknesses. I have been having issues with aluminum and plexiglass literally pulling the bit out of the collet while routing and burying into the table. The only solution that I've come up with is slowing down the router to very slow speeds. Any suggestions?

andy

I use a Gerber sabre 408 and I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a chart that suggests cutting speeds for substrates and their thicknesses. I have been having issues with aluminum and plexiglass literally pulling the bit out of the collet while routing and burying into the table. The only solution that I've come up with is slowing down the router to very slow speeds. Any suggestions?

When was the last time you bought new collets?

These items are consumables which will wear out over time. If your collet is dropping router bits then it's a sure sign that it's badly worn and no longer grips tightly around the bit... either that or you are using a fractionally over size collet which is too large for the router bit shaft diameter.