• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Deadly poison found in letter addressed to Obama

phototec

A letter addressed to President Barack Obama was found to contain Ricin Wednesday, the FBI announced, the same day Senate office buildings were partially evacuated following the discovery of "suspicious items" on the Hill.

"A second letter containing a granular substance that preliminarily tested positive for ricin was received at an offsite mail screening facility. The envelope, addressed to the President, was immediately quarantined by U.S. Secret Service personnel, and a coordinated investigation with the FBI was initiated," the FBI announced.
For the second straight day, U.S. Capitol Police investigated a fresh potential threat to lawmakers: “Suspicious items” that led them to clear three floors in two Senate office buildings, according to a spokeswoman.

“Currently, we’re investigating two separate issues,” Lt. Jessia Baboulis told Yahoo News. Capitol Police “have asked that people remain off the first and third floors of the Hart office building, and the third floor of Russell,” another office building.

:omg:

Pat Whatley

The thing that always makes me wonder about stuff like that is the thought that somebody out there actually thinks the President opens his own mail.

TheSnowman

And I read something that says that it's only deadly if you eat it? When was the last time you got something foreign to you in the mail, wasn't sure what it was, so you ate it? Or the dude you hired to open your mail opened it up, wasn't sure, took a bite, then brought it to your desk to try some. You gotta think this event has happened every day that's gone on since 100 years ago.

John Butto

This just in, they found out that the someone put the truth in a letter to the president. And they are trying not to let him be near it.

p3

You don't necessarily have to "eat the mail", but if it was on your hands and you're not an avid hand washer and you go to eat something. It doesn't take much. Sometimes even such a small amount just being inhaled, sort of like Scopolopamine.

Donny7833

Ricin can be ingested, inhaled, injected and absorbed through the skin. All are deadly scenarios in extremely small doses. As for the light hearted "joking", I was brought up to believe that you respect the office of the President regardless of your political affiliation. We are after all one nation, correct? If you can make light of this, imo, you're not worthy.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ricin can be ingested, inhaled, injected and absorbed through the skin. All are deadly scenarios in extremely small doses. As for the light hearted "joking", I was brought up to believe that you respect the office of the President regardless of your political affiliation. We are after all one nation, correct? If you can make light of this, imo, you're not worthy.

I too, was brought up to respect the highest chair in the land. However, I never expected things to be the way they are. That is not a political statement, but a total observation of our nation, people, and our ways. Whatever or however you believe in your president, nothing can take the place of the singing of the National Anthem at the Bruins game last night. Now that is real.

So please, don't lecture me about one lonely person whom by their own hands and words has destroyed my faith in the office. It's the people I cherish. :wavingflag:
No kidding, google the Bruins game last night and it'll bring tears to your eyes and if you don't join in, then there's something wrong with you.

WildWestDesigns

Ricin can be ingested, inhaled, injected and absorbed through the skin.

Actually Ricin isn't absorbed into the skin through normal contact. Now if someone mixed it with DMSO, that could be a different matter altogether. Typically it's contact with ricin and then ingesting it would be the cause. Just contact on the skin would typically cause redness on the skin and irritation, but that's it in most cases.

Gene@mpls

I too, was brought up to respect the highest chair in the land. However, I never expected things to be the way they are. That is not a political statement, but a total observation of our nation, people, and our ways. Whatever or however you believe in your president, nothing can take the place of the singing of the National Anthem at the Bruins game last night. Now that is real.

So please, don't lecture me about one lonely person whom by their own hands and words has destroyed my faith in the office. It's the people I cherish. :wavingflag:
No kidding, google the Bruins game last night and it'll bring tears to your eyes and if you don't join in, then there's something wrong with you.

You are talking about GWB right? Again... nothing political intended.

Donny7833

Completely off point Gino. I'm a business owner and I'm not happy with the current state of our country/economy either. I simply stated that a terrorist attempt on the Office of the President is not a laughing matter regardless of your affiliation. You either agree or you don't. I wasn't lecturing or making a political statement, your psyche took it that way, that's on you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You are talking about GWB right? Again... nothing political intended.

Nope. The thread was entitled with Obama's name in it. No one else. So, my reference was to the one in the White House presently.

Completely off point Gino. I'm a business owner and I'm not happy with the current state of our country/economy either. I simply stated that a terrorist attempt on the Office of the President is not a laughing matter regardless of your affiliation. You either agree or you don't. I wasn't lecturing or making a political statement, your psyche took it that way, that's on you.

Nope, nothing off point. That's only how you perceive it. Tunnel vision is not a good thing.

Had you checked out the Bruins game I mentioned, you'd feel real patriotism. You'd be singing right along... with tears streaming down your face from pure hope and joy.

I'm sorry, I still respect the office. However, not the person in there.

Try to remember one thing. Attempts are made on these guys almost on a daily basis. It goes with the job. Why do you think they need so many secret service... which by the way, are hardly secret service anymore ?? There are efforts made and some get through, but like mentioned, there's no way this pathetic undertaking had any real chance of reaching it's destination. This kinda stuff is just nonsense. It's only a propaganda ploy to make you feel fuzzy and comfy for Obama and how close he came to an assassination. Yeah, right.