• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dealing with customers that are not in their right mind

Flame

So basically, let's have a discussion. How is the best way to deal with customers who are, basically, not in their right mind? Not like a pain in the butt style... I mean a customer who walks in VERY obviously drunk, or like todays special, someone that was obviously on drugs and rather violent.

You are bound to get some crazies from time to time, but what about small business owners, or existing customers, who show up, call or text at random times and it's apparent they are heavily under the influence of something not so nice.

Do you need to just eliminate these from your customer base, deal with them with patience, call the cops, fist fight, tell them to come back sober orrrr???

Touchy subject, but o well. I'm curious :popcorn:

Mosh

I just play with them and enjoy the show. I have had several physical "altercations" with customers whom I am pretty sure were wacked out.

Marlene

we haven't run into that problem but sounds like the best thing to do is get them out of the shop as fast as possible wihtout putting yourself in danger.

mark galoob

i DO NOT tolerate any kind of nonsense or foolishness or agressive behavior at all. i havnt had to fire many customers but i have fired a few, and i wont hesitate to nicely tell them to leave. if they refuse to leave, i pick up the phone, dial 911, and set the phone down...cops seem to always move faster when i do dat. never had to draw my gun on anyone, but i had to place my hand on it once and the butthead backed down as soon as he saw i was packin...

this is my second home, i basically live here at the store for 30-40% of my life, and i wont have it violated by agressive behavior. money isnt near as important as my safty and my crews safty, so firing a buthead customer really doesnt hurt my feelings...

mark galoob

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Your title.....Dealing with customers that are not in their right mind kinda indicates that YOU ARE in your right mind, huh ??

Hmmmm.... something tells me someone had a p!ssy day. :rolleyes:

Actually, I don't remember any, but I'll bet I had some weirdos come in on occasion. The texting and calling off hours is no problem. They just leave a message on the phone or in your 'in-box'. However, if you're basing your whole life off of one phone and living so close to your business, then I would say, you haven't set up the rules or boundaries for which your customers need to abide by.

I have two ways of handling crazies coming in should it ever happen. I have a 36" Louisville Slugger by my office door and I have a .38 in my drawer. I don't advertise either, but I would not hesitate to draw the gun if I felt threatened and I have taken hold of the bat when nasty people seem to be congregating nearby our front entrance.

As for coming in, I think some of them have been high on something, but they weren't obnoxious or violent.... just a little funny.

Flame

I do not have only 1 phone nor do I live/work at the same location, so those are not issues. However I run into people from time to time that are under the influence of a variety of....stuff. Like had a very good customer randomly show up extremely drunk. Was quite ackward to try to deal with him. Also have a guy who owns a decent little company, consistently come in while heavily on drugs.

Perhaps I'm just in a strange area, but it's very ackward to try to handle these situations. This is opposed to the tweaker who just comes in to cause trouble I can of course instantly call the cops or handle the situation with my own tools. That's fairly straight forward for the most part.