• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Decal Images Usage

ryanb4614

Hello. I am looking into buying a vinyl cutter. I want to make a online store, etsy, ebay etc and sell decals. My issue is I want to have hundreds of images which would be the product then the customer adds their text. Where can I obtain images and list them on my website? I have visited the recommended websites on here but it seems like I would have to dish out thousands of dollars to build up a catalog. There is a local store here that does it. I called and asked a few questions. He told me for example, if its a memorial decal he will search online for angel wings or a cross and then use photoshop to edit the image and some software he uses to make the image a vector, then he gets a black image and thats what he used for the vinyl machine to cut out. I thought this would be illegal? He told me the image he gets online and after he is done vectoring it its not the same image? Im confused by this. I am new to this and don't want to get in trouble since my stuff will be online.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Pat is correct in that you should be looking for vector images. He is also correct that using images in any form that you find on the internet without permission is copyright infringement. Creating a derivative is also a copyright infringement.

Whether you purchase a license for a collection or just individual images is the way to go but you will need to check with the image owner as to what the license rights are. Usually you will be getting a "royalty free" license which gives you the right to produce the image without paying any further money to the image owner as long as you are not selling the digital file itself. Where you will hit into a problem is creating and displaying an online catalog. Some licenses will permit it but most will not without some additional costs or arrangement for the paying of royalties whenever you sell a decal that includes a licensed image.

Here's a link to our license at ExpressClipart.com that spells out the terms in plain English as well as the legal version.

Finally, be sure to ascertain whether whomever you want to license images from is the true owner of the rights to license to you. Here's a list of a few places who do:

Allied Computer Graphics, Inc.

Holmes & Cottrell Graphic Technologies

Clipart Design

Action Illustrated