• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Delamination & clear coat pull back

lbpalm

I have a couple of problems on a tradesman's van signage that I'd love to hear some feedback on.
Here it is:

Issue #1:
Clear coat is de-laminating from base vinyl - Vinyl is a/r Oracal (calendared - should I try cast?) and the clear lam is Oracal 290g.
This problem is occurring in deep grooved recesses - the areas where the side panel has steel instead of a glass side window installed in place of metal.
That deep-radius is where the vinyl construct is de-laminating; note that the base vinyl is sticking to the painted-surface recess OK & with no problems. I also should mention that the base vinyl print was air cured for over 48 hours before laminating on a seal Base 62 at 80% roller pressure.

Issue #2:
Laminate top coat is pulling away from base vinyl around the entire edge; - There is about a 1/16" area consistently all around the entire decal edge which is about 52 x 36 inch in size, where the clear lam has pulled away from the base vinyl. This is in relation to the same job mentioned above.

Any and all comments/feedback greatly appreciated!
& thanks in advance to all.
Lee.

greysquirrel

because of the grooves I would use cast vinyl..and cast laminate...

how much tension was on laminate as it was applied? was there any upward curve to the finished print before installation?

lbpalm

HI GS;
I installed into the grooved areas first, then fanned out the larger areas, a section at at time which went fine.
The base vinyl is staying down pretty good.
I think you are right, it will require a good quality cast vinyl probably with premium grade laminate since the simple grooves are the only areas that are of concern.
Thanks for your reply much appreciated!

lbpalm

because of the grooves I would use cast vinyl..and cast laminate...

how much tension was on laminate as it was applied? was there any upward curve to the finished print before installation?

Hey Grey Squirrel,
I should have paid more attention to your question since it looks like thee are a couple of points in it which I did not address:
- As regards tension: I usually have the tension set on the roll clutch pretty high, to avoid any chance of wrinkling. ...never would have thought this could be an issue!
- As to upward curve: if you mean to ask whether or not the base vinyl was curled up, like a roll?
If that is the question, the base vinyl was laid flat for 3-4 days before laminating.
Thanks again!