• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Design Classes

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Do you want to learn the software?
Lynda.com will take you from knowing nothing to being able to fumble with design within a short period, then you can skip to certain tutorials when needed. It is worth the price.

Or are you looking to learn design?
This is where it gets sticky... you can go to Barnes and Nobles, but some have zip about design, or you might get the wrong books. They will not carry the books and Magazine I'm about to list
You need to learn layout, typography, color, and maybe logo design...
First, get a subscription to Signcraft...
Second, you might want to get the book Mastering Layout by Mike Stevens, it is pre computer, and very geeky on balance, more than one person has told me it was too much for them, but I still recommend it.
Third, get Dan Antonelli's logo design books, it's geared toward small business from the sign side of things.

There was a book about sign shop sign design that was decent, but I can no longer recommend it for other reasons, I can tell you the title and where to get it offline or through PM, but will no longer openly list that book.

i have around 1500-200 design books, so narrowing them down to what you want it difficult, if you have specific needsm I can recommend a few titles...

rjssigns

Go to your local tech school like I did. I knew going in that I would have top flight instructors. Instructor for Illustrator has won multiple awards and still has international clients. My adjunct prof for PS has done CD covers and websites for various bands. I think he is working with Taddy Porter on a small project, besides being art director for the school now. 20 plus years in the industry.

Bottom line for me is there is nothing like being able to raise your hand in class and ask for clarification. Priceless!
You will also learn to drive the livin' whee out of the software if you intend to keep up.

I also liked "feeding" off others in class and the weekly critiques.

Critique week was a great experience also. You got to face a panel of your instructors and various others while explaining your portfolio.
If you didn't bring your A game you were dead meat.

Reading out of a book and trying to learn is nothing like having to perform at a high level for 16 weeks at a clip. Sorry.

WildWestDesigns

Very much a fan of lynda.com.

I also think that the class experience and/ live webinar experience are perhaps the best. But depending on how you learn and how motivated you are, books and already recorded lectures have their place and might do you more justice then the live class. Just depends on how you learn and your motivation. The best method for one doesn't always translate as the best method for the other.

rjssigns

"I also think that the class experience and/ live webinar experience are perhaps the best. But depending on how you learn and how motivated you are, books and already recorded lectures have their place and might do you more justice then the live class. Just depends on how you learn and your motivation. The best method for one doesn't always translate as the best method for the other.[/QUOTE]

Very true. It boils down to dedication. You have to put in the time, there are no substitutes. I was very fortunate to have the professors I did.
They put the spurs to us every week. I ended up with some very nice portfolios form the experience too.
And if I am ever need a question answered they are available even though I have completed their courses some time ago.

Joe Diaz

I agree with Rick. Finding a good source for learning the ins and outs of your software is one thing. but learning design is something different.. It doesn't matter how well you know your software if you don't know the basics of design. Both should be a part of your education. I have found that it's really difficult to find a place where you can learn both. For example I think Lynda is great for learning the software, but not for learning layout and design. For layouts and design you may want to check out the books that were listed above.

96XP

With bills coming in steady, it can be difficult finding time for schooling. Push lots of buttons, use on-line tutorials, and I recently bought a 3disc set CS5 training from How To Gurus and is quite in depth. (still studying) Keep a scratch pad handy for notes and shortcuts. Techniques and style you will develop over time. If you study from home, you can proceed at your own pace. And if you like details, you can put those saved dollars into a good trackball & tablet.
jmo

Terremoto

A book that I refer to often is Leslie Cabarga's, "Logo, Font, and Lettering Bible." I consider it a MUST HAVE for anybody serious about sign design.

One cool thing about Leslie is when you call the contact number on his website he's the one that actually answers the phone!

Dan

Slamboni

illy

I learned to work illy fast by having people over my shoulder dictating how they wanted designs done in house. The desire to make changes at the speed of dictation made me get better at it.