• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Digital signage?

Tim Kingston

I am considering putting some effort into learning more about motion graphics ( video especially ). I look at how digital displays keep gaining more and more market share; I was wondering if others considered this as well.

I would think that it would be a good fit for a"sign" business anyways, in order to possibly expand our customer base in the future.

I was wondering if anyone else thinks about the "threat/possibility" and are any of you involved now?

I don't see I whole lot of discussion on the topic, thanks.

Craig Sjoquist

Well as a old news sign painter that has seen this industry change and not being able to do much about changing with it, will call it stubborn learn from it.

Go forward into the digital age if you don't step you will go no where, from what I'm reading printing will be old news and soon, sure there will still be a market for many years to come but look at it this way ... A customer can now touch a showroom display window and browse the store catalog's and still see the display while people walking by can watch the display video that caught your in the 1st place, in 10 years that will be common as vinyl letters where back in the 90s and print was taking off.

BALLPARK

I do not see a lot of sign companies in the future being able to make the next step.

Large franchises are already using them instead of backlit and poster displays. They can update every location in the world with a click of the button.

TV manufactures, Large Marketing Firms & Video programmers are the future of that market share. Although it never hurts to try...;)

cartoad

Lots to learn about it, and you need to find the right suspects. I have pitched several different systems to small business, and while the business owners are receptive and intererested when it comes to the $$$ to spend they drop it like a hot potato. Lots of companies in it also, so margins are not what you would think they would be. I agree I think it is where a lot of the signage is heading, but like everything else the little guys are going to be squeezed out, just my 2 cents.

iSign

I think the hardware is going to come way down in price, with little room for much profit, BUT, this will help put them in the hands of small business people...
-
-
and then, the design work is the resulting cash cow... once someone own a system & recognizes the advertising power.. THEY WILL WANT CONTENT!!

Learn to create content, and let someone else stock the technology... you will be in demand!

visual800

I absolutely despise digital. We have an eye physician, a dentist and a mens clothing store that rotates rap artist on his. they are uncalled for and IMO an eyesore and very distracting. I dont so much mind the one color daktronics at the walgreens as they are informing and do not blare out vivid colors and change rapid fire.

I can definitely see where as this market is leaning towards that but now at this moment I am not interested.

Tim Kingston

I think the hardware is going to come way down in price, with little room for much profit, BUT, this will help put them in the hands of small business people...
-
-
and then, the design work is the resulting cash cow... once someone own a system & recognizes the advertising power.. THEY WILL WANT CONTENT!!

Learn to create content, and let someone else stock the technology... you will be in demand!

Yes, I agree, content is king (queen) :smile:. I think trying to set up hardware, except perhaps individual displays ( regular monitors , small businesses type of thing ) would be too risky of an investment, for all the reasons stated above.

However, if you could offer a customer that yes, we do regular signage, vehicle wraps, stationary etc., and we can design and prepare your graphics for your web site, social media, HD video applications as well. It might help separate us from the pack.

Do you think that's logical?

I was wondering if anyone had some advice concerning how to advance along these lines. Thanks, Tim

iSign

Practice makes perfect.. Run one in your own shop, get creative with the content and force yourself to make changes, keep it current, and while learning more about those skills, you will also be showcasing HOW it could, and should be used!

Tim Kingston

Practice makes perfect.. Run one in your own shop, get creative with the content and force yourself to make changes, keep it current, and while learning more about those skills, you will also be showcasing HOW it could, and should be used!

This is great advice. My boss, ( I'm just an employee, but feel the more business we can attract the better off we're all going to be), mentioned doing that exact thing. We are also using our first attempt at the trade show in Las Vegas.

I was wondering if people doing this type of thing use Flash or Video. I have done some of this type of work in the past and have a great interest in photography.

Here a link to my student portfolio from awhile back in case anyone is interested (world's oldest student ) :smile: I've been in the industry two years now. Thanks.

http://users.xplornet.com/~chocolatetree/student_portfolio/index.html