• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dimensional Virgin. Mounting Help Please

Speedsterbeast

After some helpful suggestions to go to Gemini for lettering, I would like to hear any suggestions on mounting the letters (material type undecided as of yet) on a stucco surface. (Also do not know what is under the stucco at this point)

Each letter will be about 26" high X 28" wide.

I understand that Gemini will supply the letters with studs and a template for my mounting holes.

My next step is to learn what to use as far as adhesives- epoxy, urethane etc in the holes.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Tavern Front.jpg
    Tavern Front.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 109

nwsigns

100% silicone with studs and pads, sticks great to stucco. Make sure you really seal the holes or water will seep in and cause long term issues.

Terremoto

Drill the holes a bit oversize. That will allow for some adjustment of the letters if the drill bit wanders a bit while it's making it's hole. Doesn't matter if the stud is loose in the hole because you're going to fill the hole with "Outdoor - 250 year Silicone Adhesive" and you're going to be glad you have the wiggle room for fine adjustment.

Now to hold it in place until the silicone sets up you use a hot glue gun and put a couple of dabs of hot glue on the backside of the letters.

The idea behind the oversize holes is that it allows for adjustment and the studs "float" in the hole so they have a bit of leeway to counter the effects of thermal expansion. Just don't go overboard on the oversize hole or you'll see it from the street which wouldn't be a good thing.

Dan

Speedsterbeast

I guess I always shy away from silicone because of my upbringing.
My father, who was a boat builder always told me that the only place silicone belongs on a boat is overboard.
Hence my focus towards urethanes and epoxies. However I'm sure the removability of the silicone is one of the benefits of the product.

Thanks All.
This job is becoming less imtimidating with every question I post.

MikePro

+1 to silicone
i drill my holes, remove the pattern, and shove the studs of the letters into the silicone tube as i squeeze the trigger slightly while I draw the stud out of the tube.
This way, when you shove the letter/studs into your drilled holes, it not only fills the hole with stud/silicone but the excess creates a "pad" of silicone on the face of the wall for additional adhesion when it dries.
(if installing flush, make sure you limit how much silicone goes on the studs... as it may "ooze" out from the sides of your letter if too much is applied)

J Hill Designs

+1 to silicone
i drill my holes, remove the pattern, and shove the studs of the letters into the silicone tube as i squeeze the trigger slightly while I draw the stud out of the tube.
This way, when you shove the letter/studs into your drilled holes, it not only fills the hole with stud/silicone but the excess creates a "pad" of silicone on the face of the wall for additional adhesion when it dries.

I do this as well as add silicone into the holes

I also tend to dry fit first

MikePro

I do this as well as add silicone into the holes

I also tend to dry fit first

i'll pre-fill my holes for interior applications, where being a little "messy" is unacceptable, and exposed silicone is an eye-sore.

nice tip for this too: don't use the caulk gun to fill holes, too hard to control. fill a ziplock baggie with silicone, and clip the tip. Use like a cake-icer (whatever its called) to squeeze the bag and control your application.