• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Disclaimers?

Clear Choice

I just got a call from a customer who complained one of
his two banners he bought 10 months ago (June) ripped.
Seems it ripped on the side last fall and he took it down.
Now he wants a replacement.
I told him no....he was not happy.

Last fall we had some pretty extreme winds go thru here
several times and I am sure he did not take the banners
down to protect them.
The two banners were on posts in the ground and who knows
how well he had them attached.

How would you handle this? I feel badly and don't want him
out there bad-mouthing my company BUT I have no control
over how he installs the banner or if he uses common sense
and takes it down when extreme weather threatens.

I feel I should give out disclaimers with banners stating they
are temporary signage and they will not stand up to high
winds etc??? Do I have to spell out common sense?

Jillbeans

Yes, I think written disclaimers (possibly ones the client could sign off on but that might be pushing it) should be issued with both banners and magnetics.
Banners are temporary, and people need to realize this.
I have seen banners stay up until they've literally rotted off a building.
I do staple a disclaimer to my invoice, when selling mags, that states I am not responsible for blow off or permanent adhesion.
I think I will make some to give out with banners, too.
At least then I wouldn't have to replace something for free that was not my fault.
Your guy, coming back after all that time, would not be getting a new free banner form me.
Love.....Jill

WildWestDesigns

I feel I should give out disclaimers with banners stating they
are temporary signage and they will not stand up to high
winds etc??? Do I have to spell out common sense?

Unfortunately you do have to spell out common sense nowadays. You need to "dumb" it down to the most basic level that you can. I know that seems harsh, but people have really gotten lazy about things, so that means more work for us trying to communicate things properly to them. It really shouldn't be our responsibility, but that's the way it's become.

J

john1

True that! Common sense is NOT common.

I had someone the other day who i sent a link to with a proof of their job. They waited 5 days until they emailed me and asked where their proof was. I said i sent it 5 days ago and they said "I did not know that was a link, I am not a expert and you should not assume that"

WOW.

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
I didn't search it at all but is there somewhere on the net that "defines" banners? Maybe you suppliers pages have something stating what you know about accepted uses / durability etc.?

If you were able to email something stated by someone else it may help him / her understand.