• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

'Disconnected' issue

Richo Man

Hi, I have had my roland vp-540 for a while as the 2nd owner so it's probably 6 years old. It has been working perfectly till now when 5, 10 or even 20mins into the print Versa Works showes a 'disconnected' message and I loos the whole job??
I have tried almost everything: up dated operating system, new network card, checked cables including Ethernet, made sure it wasn't touching power cabLe, bought new modem/router, Versa Works on version 5.1?? Firmware on machine 4.60.
Getting very frustrated as new motherboard has been quoted including technician at just under $3000 and I would like to try every other option first. :banghead: :frustrated: :thankyou:

jfiscus

Rap Master
It sounds like you have it running through a router? I would suggest a direct connection from the computer to the machine. (I think the one I used to run had a cross-over cable?)
There might also be a certain brand of network card that is recommended for use with Roland printers? I know our Mimaki printers like certain firewire cards better than any others.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
what exactly are you doing when it stops, using PC or not?

ip conflict could be happening, change your router from dynamic to static

i had this happen before and it was windows power saving options shutting down when i wasn't using the PC.

in the end it will be something very stupid and easy to fix, it always seems to be

GVP

We've had this issue for some time now on our VP-540. Part way through a print it bombs, with Versaworks saying "Printer not connected". It is not possible to recover - we have to reboot the printer and start over. We tried various fixes, including taking it off the network and putting a dedicated network card and connection to the printer, but it doesn't seem to have helped. The only clue we have is that keeping the print room ungodly hot seems to help - in cold weather, we get the issue more frequently.

CS-SignSupply

Component within the integrated network card... replace mainboard. Local customer had same issues lasting on and off for months. Replaced mainboard in November of last year and zero network drops.

Tough pill to swallow due to expense of mainboard.

We went through several scenarios and attempts to resolve including multiple PC's, multiple router/switch/direct connect options, even left one of our support laptops connected to test further over a few days...

Richo Man

i had this happen before and it was windows power saving options shutting down when i wasn't using the PC.

in the end it will be something very stupid and easy to fix, it always seems to be

Hi, have done all the network thinks to death, when it stops sometimes I'm responding to emails, working on design work in illustrator, sometimes standing watching the machine!

Richo Man

We've had this issue for some time now on our VP-540. Part way through a print it bombs, with Versaworks saying "Printer not connected". It is not possible to recover - we have to reboot the printer and start over. We tried various fixes, including taking it off the network and putting a dedicated network card and connection to the printer, but it doesn't seem to have helped. The only clue we have is that keeping the print room ungodly hot seems to help - in cold weather, we get the issue more frequently.
I read a response from a sign company in South Australia and they said the same thing, they placed a heater under the printer pointing toward the motherboard to warm it up and that helped, it is winter here at the moment so I will definitely try that, like tomorrow!

player

Are these units having this problem VP or VPi?

I just got a VP540i and am wondering if I should worry...

Richo Man

Are these units having this problem VP or VPi?

I just got a VP540i and am wondering if I should worry...

Hey mate, as I said in my description it's a vp-540 and its 6-7 years old so unless your machine fits into that category I wouldn't worry. :notworthy:

Sort of the same thing here.
I have a Mutoh 1204 with Wasatch 7.0 RIP, I'm getting a disconnect message that says Winsock Error 10054 try reconnect? I click yes of course and it continues to print with no problems and the print is fine as long as I'm quick with the mouse. It happens about nine inches into the print.
I'm wondering if it isn't more of a conflict with my internet security but I can't seem pinpoint the issue in the settings etc.
It also stated right after I had finished updates on my computer... go figure.
I hope it's not the motherboard but if I'm able to come up with the magic remedy I'll post it.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Hi, have done all the network thinks to death, when it stops sometimes I'm responding to emails, working on design work in illustrator, sometimes standing watching the machine!

what about virus protection software, i have had that interfere before