• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

do I need to lam if im applying poly?

Signed Out

I have a customer who wants some printed and cut graphics for his bar. my question is wether or not i need to laminate the graphic or not. the customer will be putting on the polyurethane himself i fell like i don't need to because the poly will protect it but im worried that something in the poly may affect the ink(eco sol max).

Kyle Blue

Not sure, but this does not sound like a good idea. Not just beacuse of the ink but the polyurethane might affect the vinyl material too. Possibly shrinking or eating away at the material.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is this going to go face up on a regular bar ??

How are they applying the clear ??

More than likely, the guy isn't going to be too good at techniques when applying his clear, so I'd lam it and then your butt's protected. He just has to use enough coats, to completely submerge the graphics in clearcoat. I'd say 12 to 15 coats will do it..... maybe 20. You could always spray clear it to protect the graphic from his first coat of clear.

Do you know how to do that ??

Graphics2u

I do graphics all the time for a company that buries them under waterbased Gym floor finish. They've never had success with anything but waterbased finshes. Also they graphics should be laminated. We tested liguid lams and sprays but nothing worked as well as vinyl lam. That's been my experience anyway.