• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does anyone have any experience with "offbrand" printers?

EternalAudio

Vinyl Express V 1800mm 70" Large Wide Format Printer DX5 ECO Solvent+RIP,1440dpi

or any other "China Made" off brand printer?

Thoughts, suggestions?

reQ

Some people don't get why 99% of us don't use chinese brand printers. Its not that they are garbage (well, in some cases they will be garbage) but that you don't have any tech support to fix it for you. And if printer does not print, you get angry customers who will probably go else where + you have deadweight sitting in your shop.

I know there are a lot of people using the vinyl express plotters. They are basically identical to the Graphtec plotters. But I would have to agree with the next person up. Not many big shops go for them. If you know you can fix it and can wait a couple weeks for parts to arrive then why not. Other then that it's not a good idea.

JBarraxSW

Vinyl Express V 1800mm 70" Large Wide Format Printer DX5 ECO Solvent+RIP,1440dpi

or any other "China Made" off brand printer?

Thoughts, suggestions?
That's NOT a "Vinyl Express" product. Vinyl Express is a SignWarehouse trademark. And we don't offer any digital printers under that brand. You're looking at a Chinese knockoff. Caveat Emptor.

EternalAudio

That's NOT a "Vinyl Express" product. Vinyl Express is a SignWarehouse trademark. And we don't offer any digital printers under that brand. You're looking at a Chinese knockoff. Caveat Emptor.

I understand its a knockoff. However I have had Mutoh machines that I bought from Sign Warehouse, as well as Roland, and both have given me nothing but problems, where I have had to replace the heads myself because there is no support / Sign Warehouse couldn't give me support, for them where I live. So I would have to wait weeks for shipping of parts no matter what. New heads, new dampers, new cap tops, etc, and still same issues of ink splattering or clouding the surrounding areas. So honestly the Caveat Emptor doesn't sway me from not buying or buying. Currently looking at an Epson s30670, and if you read the forums, people are having the same issues as well. Which is steering me away from THAT printer.

EternalAudio

Some people don't get why 99% of us don't use chinese brand printers. Its not that they are garbage (well, in some cases they will be garbage) but that you don't have any tech support to fix it for you. And if printer does not print, you get angry customers who will probably go else where + you have deadweight sitting in your shop.

99% of you live in mainland USA or Canada, where there are dozens of suppliers able to help.

There are none where I live. So Id have to order parts and wait weeks, as well as fix it myself for any of the bigger name brand printers.

1leonchen

Buy a printer from your local dealer. Save your self the hassle. I owned three printers before I learned that lesson. Local dealers have to honor your warranty. Parts are easier to source. It doesn't matter where u are u could be in Brazil figure speaking. Buy local. Buy extra warranty. And don't play too cheap.

John Thomson

I have a Tjet 1.6m with DX7 head.

After getting it set up correctly with profiles etc. it has not missed a beat in 2 years.......just my experience.

john

reQ

i know witcolor makes a super solid printer (wouldn't call it "off brand"). parts on these machines are so cheap compared, you can pretty much stock a closet and just swap instead of diagnose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RHt4jlRPaA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o6fYbJCyVQ (close ups to see the quality of build)

Might be buying Ultra 9200 2302. Just want to experience myself, what you can get for this price. Pretty excited actually. If i will decide to do this experiment, will make separate topic about it.

artbot

i got a colleague/pen pal in africa that replaced his jv3 250sp with an ultra (10' dual dx5). i think he got the printer and an entire conex container loaded with oversized banner material in his purchase. last year (about 2 years since buying it), he said that it's been a dream. and ... he's obviously killing it now. he's gone from a small shop that was struggling, to living large (constantly flying his large family around europe on vacation).

reQ

Yep, i will spend some money and if it will be complete fail (which i don't think it will) i wont lose to much money anyways. Right now i am 90% "YES" and 10% "NO" for chinese printer tryout

artbot

the only thing i've heard that can be a hiccup is that these pritners are often sold with a "free rip" (maintop?). it's a bit clunky and, unless updated in the last few years, would not be much fun to use. i'd ask the OEM what rips are available for whatever chinese printer is in the running.

as far a working on the chinese printers, they often come with extensive highly detailed photo based service manuals. all be it with broken english text (not much different than bad japanese translation).
there are a lot of uv LED based machines as well. the UV LED kits and ink are very very affordable additions.

reQ

the only thing i've heard that can be a hiccup is that these pritners are often sold with a "free rip" (maintop?). it's a bit clunky and, unless updated in the last few years, would not be much fun to use. i'd ask the OEM what rips are available for whatever chinese printer is in the running.

as far a working on the chinese printers, they often come with extensive highly detailed photo based service manuals. all be it with broken english text (not much different than bad japanese translation).
there are a lot of uv LED based machines as well. the UV LED kits and ink are very very affordable additions.

That supplier gives Maintop & Photoprint RIPs. Never used any of them, but heard not really good things about maintop & not to bad about photoprint. I know already that colors/profiles will be biggest problem, but i am willing to spend time on it.
I want to do complete chinese set up, which means everything from china, including inks (ink is VERY cheap) Will run it and print some test jobs (probably will print on 180cv3 & wrap my truck with it) So yeah, looking forward for it & results

Christian @ 2CT Media

Do you know if China has gotten the flex uv inks down well? We have been looking at the different Flexible UV inks on the market and a Wit Color with Flex UV would be awesome.

Doug78

That supplier gives Maintop & Photoprint RIPs. Never used any of them, but heard not really good things about maintop & not to bad about photoprint. I know already that colors/profiles will be biggest problem, but i am willing to spend time on it.
I want to do complete chinese set up, which means everything from china, including inks (ink is VERY cheap) Will run it and print some test jobs (probably will print on 180cv3 & wrap my truck with it) So yeah, looking forward for it & results

reQ did you get your setup going. I just got a TJet 1671 and have been messing with the MainTop software today. I don't have experience with any other software so I don't know how it compares.