• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does the search function work for anyone else?

We try to use the search function, but it never directs us to the answer, so we end up posting something that has been posted a million times...
Google searches this forum better.

No offense to fred he does lots of work to keep this site up, its just that maybe I'm not searching right?

And yes I did a search and couldn't find a discussion about this.:banghead:

Ok and the other results?
something about switching to mac? font ID? new member from iowa?

So I guess you're saying that if you use the keywords in the subject line and it was posted today it works? Thanks!

300mphGraphics

I've also noticed the search results here returning poorly as well, and usually turn to google, which directs me back here most of the time.

CS-SignSupply

the default search function uses the OR operator and its own internal keyword structure which results in poor results if you type in multiple words or phrases... vbulletin used to offer the option of using FULLTEXT Search but I do not see that option anywhere on the visitor side.

Fred may have the FULLTEXT search option turned off due CPU load problems therefore slowing the site.

Sharx

I agree I rarely have any luck with the search function here. I just figure in my case it's user error!:Oops:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
the default search function uses the OR operator and its own internal keyword structure which results in poor results if you type in multiple words or phrases... vbulletin used to offer the option of using FULLTEXT Search but I do not see that option anywhere on the visitor side.

Fred may have the FULLTEXT search option turned off due CPU load problems therefore slowing the site.

Fulltext searching is turned on and has been for quite some time. Frankly, I've never much cared for vBulletin's approach to searching but there is nothing I can do about it other than recommend, as others have, to use Google.

phototec

Fulltext searching is turned on and has been for quite some time. Frankly, I've never much cared for vBulletin's approach to searching but there is nothing I can do about it other than recommend, as others have, to use Google.

I agree the Signs101 search function is poor at best, and good to know that Fred is aware. It gets me, a lot of times I read a post and others jump on the OP telling them to use the search function.

Every time I have use the Signs101 search function, I very rarely find what I was looking for, always hundreds of items that have nothing to do with what I'm looking for.

Fred, a long time ago you sent me an email and suggested a way to use Google, and I don't remember the procedure, what is your recommended procedure for using Google to search Sings 101?

:thankyou:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred, a long time ago you sent me an email and suggested a way to use Google, and I don't remember the procedure, what is your recommended procedure for using Google to search Sings 101?

:thankyou:

In the Google search box enter: site:signs101.com followed by the keyword(s). You can also use the advanced search features of Google to set Signs101.com as the site and further refine your keywords.

GP

Good to know. This has bothered me for quite some time, but I didn't want to nit-pick on the extensive efforts of Fred & Co.

It seems like it used to be a lot more accurate in pin-pointing search results.

GP

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Good to know. This has bothered me for quite some time, but I didn't want to nit-pick on the extensive efforts of Fred & Co.

It seems like it used to be a lot more accurate in pin-pointing search results.

GP

Yes but there were less posts. The bigger the number of posts searched, the lesser the accuracy of the results.

SignManiac

Maybe Doug (isigns) can chime in here. He seemed to be the master of digging up old threads. I'm sure he has some very secret technique he might share with everyone.