• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does this look like infringement to you?

threeputt

Looking thru some marketing materials today and saw this ad from Summa.

Seems like the folks at Guitar Hero might taka a dim view of this.

What are your thoughts? Does it cross the line?

(apologies if this has been discussed before)

Attachments

• summa.jpg
    summa.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 73

Ghost Prophet

Seems fine to me, logo is although similar, completely different as a whole. Sometimes adding stuff (like the squeegee) makes what would normally seem like infringement more acceptable. :p

phototec

What are your thoughts? Does it cross the line?QUOTE]

I think the word "Hero" is exact, looks pretty much like they copied the "Guitar Hero" logo and changed the word Guitar to Grafix. I'm pretty sure 3M would NOT like their logotype used in this manner.

Attachments

• Summa Gutar Hero Logo.jpg
    Summa Gutar Hero Logo.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 65

Browner

Pretty sure that if someone pressed the issue, it could be construed as "parody".

Kinda funny, actually.

Jim Doggett

What are your thoughts? Does it cross the line?QUOTE]I think the word "Hero" is exact, looks pretty much like they copied the "Guitar Hero" logo and changed the word Guitar to Grafix. I'm pretty sure 3M would NOT like their logotype used in this manner.

Sure; it's clearly a take-off on the Guitar Hero brand. But type cannot copyrighted; all type is public domain. The Guitar Hero folks might be able to establish that they're infringed and that Graphics Hero creates substantial confusion with Guitar Hero. But I doubt it's worth much more than a quick cease and desist on their counsel's letterhead, which given the relative size of the companies, Summa would probably say "Oops, will do." :smile:

Locals Find!

Fonts are totally different. I don't think this would be something their attorney would even bother to waste time having an associate type the letter for. He would probably chuckle bill em for the hour and move on with his day.

Locals Find!

how are the fonts different?

attachment.php

Ok since you apparently haven't been looking at Fonts and artwork very long in your career let me point the most obvious one to you. The "A"s are totally different. Not to mention the jagged edges on font the OP image. Different fonts. Similar, but different.

AUTO-FX

Ok since you apparently haven't been looking at Fonts and artwork very long in your career let me point the most obvious one to you.

no need to be snippy with buttons, adtechia, he/she was just askin you to point it out. This after you said it's a "totally different" font, which it isnt ( totally different). It is in fact totally SIMILAR.

threeputt

Funny you post this. This was up a couple of days ago and your logo looks pretty similar!

http://signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=73305

I think you're really stretching on that one.

If your eye tells you my "s" looks like either the Specialized "s" or the Speed "s", I'd say it could use some training in font recognition and spacial perception.

As I stated in that same thread (with tongue tucked securely into cheek) we stole our logo from another company not Speed or Specialized.

Suggesting my logo looks like either of them is rediculous.You're really going nowhere in that canoe. IMHO

Locals Find!

no need to be snippy with buttons, adtechia, he/she was just askin you to point it out. This after you said it's a "totally different" font, which it isnt ( totally different). It is in fact totally SIMILAR.

Your right I was wrong. I APOLOGIZE buttons.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There’s no need for doing battle over this among you, but in my opinion, they are about 99% identical in font, color, effects, approach, shape, theme and just about anything else you say they are different.

For crying out loud… from a large ‘G’ to two smaller letters back up to large and then a total duplication of the word ‘Hero’. Sure a notch dropped here or there, but the similarities and sameness go beyond anything I’ve seen in a while. Get attorneys and courts involved ?? I doubt it. These two companies are probably scratching each others backs on this one. I’m sure someone got permission to resemble something so closely. Otherwise, they’d be taking a dumb stupid chance of copyright infringement, just like the title here states.