• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Double Sided Flatbed Sheeting with Multiple Different Artworks

MHHSC

Hello all!

I am brand new here, so if this thread should be posted elsewhere, please let me know!

We recently switched our rip software from Caldera to OnyxThrive for our flatbed Digitech Truefire printers (we'd already been using it for quite a while with our roll printers). We also have a Colex SharpCut for cutting both flatbed prints and roll prints.

One thing we've been trying to do is become more efficient in sheeting signs that have multiple different double sided artworks in one order. For example, we'll often get orders for 24x18 double sided graduation signs that are 300 different student names. This means it'll take 30 48x96 sheets, or 60 prints (front and back). Up until now, our design team has been sheeting them manually in Illustrator (sheet 10 artworks, save Side A, flip the columns, save side B, repeat 30 times), but we're trying to see if there's a better way to do it.

I know it can also technically be done in OnyxThrive using the layout tool, but it seems to be much faster to do it in Illustrator. We're still learning OnyxThrive though, so if any of you use it for double sided flatbed printing and have any tips, we'd appreciate it! Or if there's any other tips, I'd love to hear them.

Thank you all!

MHHSC

Thank you all for your replies! I haven't heard of Print Factory before, but I'll pass that along to my bosses.

It sounds like Onyx just isn't going to be useful for that specific type of double sided printing. For those of you that use Print Factory, do you use it for everything or do you have to use a mix of rip software?

guillermo

I use onyx and to be hones, for what I do is fine, I also have flexi, but no really using it, as it has things that i can do (or do not how) onyx was for our flatbed mimaki, but quit using it for the flat bed as I can not move the images in onyx, rasterlink for mimaki is great, if the back image is the same, I will print all the fronts and the last run of the fronts, will be printed and trimmed only to fit the size, then in rasterlink I will set the back images, the same way I did the last ones, with all the fronts cut, I will place them in the cut out that is on the machine and set all of them the same.
But I see that is easier in illustrator, I do that too, for onyx.