• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Drawing for dimensional letters?

TimToad

VHB to stucco will fail, be prepared for it. You can buy a tap and die set and make your own studs easily.
Hopefully, the installers have some extra time on their hands to sit and hold each letter in place until the silicone sets enough to hold.

TimToad

*shrug* Well it's not my call, unfortunately.
The warehouse ones actually have an awning over, so those ones shouldn't be as exposed to the elements.

Not your call, but we don't see your employer coming here asking all these questions every other day, so we're all giving her free advice.

How did she get permits for this project if she doesn't even know the most basic installation method of attaching letters that large?

Or that an awning in a place that gets 100 inches of rain per year doesn't stop the wall from being saturated with moisture?

ams

*shrug* Well it's not my call, unfortunately.
The warehouse ones actually have an awning over, so those ones shouldn't be as exposed to the elements.

Sorry to say, but this will be a big impact on the company's reputation that you work for. Once a letter falls and hits someone, it'll have quite the lawsuit. There is a simple and easy fix to this and it needs to be done.
We are just trying to help you from a huge headache later.

Breezy85

ams - I definitely understand that and appreciate all the input. I don't have a lot of experience in these kind of letters, but I at least thought they were being mounted with better hardware. I don't have decades of experience in the industry like most of you folks do, but I do have more experience than my boss. She's only been in this industry as long as this shop has been open in January of last year.

I definitely appreciate all your input and will mention the concern to her.

ams

ams - I definitely understand that and appreciate all the input. I don't have a lot of experience in these kind of letters, but I at least thought they were being mounted with better hardware. I don't have decades of experience in the industry like most of you folks do, but I do have more experience than my boss. She's only been in this industry as long as this shop has been open in January of last year.

I definitely appreciate all your input and will mention the concern to her.

Feel free to PM me for help, I am always happy to answer your questions. I've been in the sign industry for 10 years, done everything from electrical signs, monument signs, pylon signs, architectural, most substrates, sand etching, vehicle graphics, you name it.

Breezy85

Feel free to PM me for help, I am always happy to answer your questions. I've been in the sign industry for 10 years, done everything from electrical signs, monument signs, pylon signs, architectural, most substrates, sand etching, vehicle graphics, you name it.

Thanks so much, I appreciate it! I definitely enjoy this industry a lot more than working in a restaurant. I feel like people are even more PITA and dumb when they're hungry. Haha. Definitely not good for my blood pressure.

ams

Thanks so much, I appreciate it! I definitely enjoy this industry a lot more than working in a restaurant. I feel like people are even more PITA and dumb when they're hungry. Haha. Definitely not good for my blood pressure.

The sign industry will raise your blood pressure alot. But it depends if you let it get to you. Local sign shops tend to be argessive, like the other day at a shopping center we are the preferred vendor for, a sign company told the property manager that we were in trouble with the IRS and that they were shutting us down. Some make up lies, others will mess with your signs, some will just be jerks towards you, not fun. One of the blood pressure issues is customers, they tend to put pressure on you and rush you, it's an emergency! then pick it up two weeks later.

Breezy85

The sign industry will raise your blood pressure alot. But it depends if you let it get to you. Local sign shops tend to be argessive, like the other day at a shopping center we are the preferred vendor for, a sign company told the property manager that we were in trouble with the IRS and that they were shutting us down. Some make up lies, others will mess with your signs, some will just be jerks towards you, not fun. One of the blood pressure issues is customers, they tend to put pressure on you and rush you, it's an emergency! then pick it up two weeks later.

Yes we get those people all the time too. Or say it's an emergency, and then take forever to approve the proof.
I've been in and out of the industry, spent more time as a server--now THAT is a spike to the blood pressure, at least for me. :D

ams

I've learned there are two types of servers. the first is happy all the time and polite or at least put up that front to customers and the second is ones who let one little thing bother them and it ruins their night and they take it out on all of the their customers. I always tip 20% to the good ones.

Breezy85

Oh yeah, take the bad with the good and don't let it bother you. I had to learn that early and then I became one of my restaurants strongest and most reliable servers. It just raised my blood pressure too much, and honestly this job is like a breath of fresh air. Haha

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I see a few things I would be concern with besides what is already stated...

Is the Brushed Aluminum Laminate outdoor durable? Most are not, if it's Chem-metal, for sure it is not...

If you are going to stud mount them, make sure repeated letters are studded the same way, far too many times I see "designers" place studs willy nilly and the installers have a fit trying to figure out what stud patters fits what holes...

It would also be nice to keep questions on the forum so others can benefit from the information... some here have over 30 years in the business...