• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dry-Erase marker on Lam?

Colin

I don't have a dry-erase (white board) marker to do a test, so wondering if it will erase just as well off of laminate as it would dry-erase film.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I don't have a dry-erase (white board) marker to do a test, so wondering if it will erase just as well off of laminate as it would dry-erase film.

A dry erase maker becomes a permanent marker on all of the laminate and other vinyl that wasn't specifically dry erase I've ever tried it on.

Pop for a roll of dry erase laminate. I've been using the stuff Fellers sells, Wypet, with no complaints. There's one 4x8 piece laminated with Wypet that's been in use for over four years not and it still works as well as the day it was put together.

Colin

A dry erase maker becomes a permanent marker on all of the laminate and other vinyl that wasn't specifically dry erase I've ever tried it on.

Thanks bob, that's what I was after. The customer needs a 8" x 12" dry-erase area on a 22x28 sign (which is a digital print mounted to sintra), so I was wondering if the lam would work for the dry-erase. I've got some white dry-erase film (not lam) that I can use over the lam for that little section.

Cheers.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We use the Wypet, too. Works nice and goes down real easy. For certain customers, we will even get a bottle of cleaner. When we don't supply the pens, we've found certain markers don't erase as easily as other and sometime might stain. So, the little bottle of cleaner is insurance for a happy customer.

Also, remember not to get your fingers on the reverse side. That stuff really telegraphs any dirt or even oil from your fingers.

Colin

Also, remember not to get your fingers on the reverse side. That stuff really telegraphs any dirt or even oil from your fingers.

Reminds me of doing the print for this little job. (two 22x28 on 54" media).....

First 8" I notice a fingerprint that the ink is revealing. Doh! Cancel job.

Next try.....at 6" in, notice a tiny piece of black debris on light portion of print. Doh! Cancel job.

Third time....no problem.

Ahh the world of digi printing!

ionsigns

Tip: Cleaning Dry Erase boards to almost their original state can usually be accomplished by starting with mineral spirits. Then remove the residual shadows with Ever-Clear (190 proof) or if you know someone who works at an ethanol plant (as I do) you may get some 200 proof which is about 1% shy of pure alcohol. I.D. Red fro ZEP, Carb Cleaner or Starting Fluid, too. Test on small areas.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Tip: Cleaning Dry Erase boards to almost their original state can usually be accomplished by starting with mineral spirits. Then remove the residual shadows with Ever-Clear (190 proof) or if you know someone who works at an ethanol plant (as I do) you may get some 200 proof which is about 1% shy of pure alcohol. I.D. Red fro ZEP, Carb Cleaner or Starting Fluid, too. Test on small areas.

Honestly, that's a lot of trouble to go to when you can buy cleaner made for such things for about $4.00 a bottle.

Not to mention, your process might harm other areas if you're not 100% careful.

Besides, I can't imagine giving a customer.... all those chemicals to clean a simple board. Right now, we're doing a project of 82 pieces 22" x 28" and half is digitally printed copy and the other side is a bunch of lined off boxes for the people to write in prices that will change sometimes once a week or more. These are in all of the stores and guess what.... they sell food at this partucar counter, so those chemicals wouldn't fly, unless they took the signs down and went outside of the building to do this. I don't see that happening.