• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dual Core and Quad Core Macs?

mondo

Pleas guys let me know if Im right here. Was there such a Mac Pro 2.66 Dual Core? Or that should be a Quad Core? I just remember when Mac Pro was introduced the standard was Quad Core right? Can someone explain a little bit more please. A friend of a friend of mine is selling a Used Mac Pro 2.66 Dual Core. And I asked if its a Quad Core. He said no its a Dual Core. Is that right? It know Quad Core was a standard when they switch to Intel? I couldn't argue with the guy since he think he's a mac genius. I just want to prove him wrong if Im right!? lol . Help on Mac Pro's please.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Is it 2 dual core? That would not make it a quad-core...just 2 dual core.

I don't know if Mac sold a single dual core model back in 2006, but you can buy a single quad-core instead of the 8 core model currently being sold.

mondo

Is it 2 dual core? That would not make it a quad-core...just 2 dual core.

I don't know if Mac sold a single dual core model back in 2006, but you can buy a single quad-core instead of the 8 core model currently being sold.
I was hoping you show up Rick!

yes he said 2 x 2.66 dual core and I told him that's quad. And he replied no that's dual. A said ok.

yeah if its 2 dual core thats quad. And I also dont recall that they have a single dual core only a single quad core and thats 2.8. Thanks Rick!

Rick

I'm pretty sure a quad core is a single processor with 4 cores...that model is probably not called a "quad core" but the 2 dual core model.

Rick

Processor:
Based on Intel's next-generation Core micro-architecture, the two 2.66 GHz 64-bit dual-core Intel Xeon processors combine both high performance and power efficiency. Augmenting the speed delivered by the processors, the system architecture features 1.33 GHz dual independent front-side buses that maximize the performance of the dual-core, dual-processor system and deliver maximum processor bandwidth of up to 21.3 GB/s. It also offers an enhanced SSE3 vector engine. Capable of delivering 128-bit vector computations in a single cycle, the SSE3 vector engine accelerates data manipulation by simultaneously applying a single instruction to multiple data--ideal for transforming large sets of data, such as applying a filter to an image or rendering a video effect.

Because Intel designed this dual-core Xeon to be more efficient, it consumes less power than similar workstation-level processors, so your system fans don't have to work as hard to keep them cool. Working with Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard, it also continues the tradition of enabling 64-bit computation. Ideal for scientific applications, the 64-bit Intel Xeon processors can express the extreme precision needed for floating-point mathematics and to express integers up to 18 billion billion.

Rick

They did call it a quad core system by the way... if that confuses you more.

mondo

Come on Rick why'd you have to include that made me more confused.:Oops:

But anyways I've attached what was on Apple refurbished site. It says Quad? 4 Cores?

ITs a good deal actually for $1900. 2 19" monitors and bunch of softwares including CS2. Although some minor scratches.

Attachments

• mac pro.jpg
    mac pro.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 153

Rick

Because it is a 4 core (or quad) system by total core amount, not the processors. Apple did call them quad core but in reality they are dual-core, dual-processor when compared to the new quad core processors being made.

Rooster

The dual core chips are pin compatible with the quad core. Down the road when the quad core chips drop in price you can replace the dual cores and double your processor count.

They're a great machine. I bought a refurbished unit a few months back. Couldn't be happier with it.

CL Graphics

I just bought one. It has 2 -2.66 duo core processors. Mac calls it a 4 core. Mine was built in January 2008. Hope this helps.