• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Duplicate Lines / Overlapping

velocitygraphix

Hey everyone, I have an issue where if I download an AI file and unmask it, it has several overlapping or duplicate lines. Obviously if I send this to the cutter or laser it goes across that area the number of times its duplicated. The design looks fine on the screen, but when there are duplicate lines, the design cuts poorly. I am wondering how I can delete the lines without manually clicking each one or having to retrace the design manually. I would like to have the design to be one object line-art. I have tried Join and Weld functions but since there are hidden lines (duplicates) it doesn't do a good job. Any help would be appreciated very much!

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Downloading from a vector clipart site? Many designers of clipart don't take into account ensuring that it's cut ready nor do they even know what that means. If it's from a third party we let them know that there will be a charge for making it cut ready. They can decide to do that part themselves or bite the cost. I work with Corel and have a macro that will remove duplicate underlying lines. I also have one that will delete any curves/lines that have both no fill & no outline. It helps but you're still going to need some manual intervention. I can also use a smart fill tool.

DPD

I'm not sure I understand so take my advice with a grain of salt. The design looks fine on the screen but when you go into wireframe mode you see duplicate lines? You could have two things happening. The lines are exactly on top of each other or you have a contour line which has not been removed by the artist. If the lines are exactly on top of each other then the first one you click on should be movable. If it's not then you may have a contour line in which case you can use your flexi tools to remove the contour.

TechnoLett

The only way I know of a workaround this dilemma is to use the design editor hoping that one set of lines has properties different from the lines you decide to keep! Then select the lines and delete! Otherwise, it needs to be done manually, unfortunately. I had this issue with certain eps files!

IsItFasst

I know the issue. Sometimes you don't see it until it's too late. Normally the way I (kinda) check for this is to select all and compound all the lines together. You will then start to see "open" areas of the lines that are over the top of other lines. You still have to go through and manually delete each one but this will at least give you a visual if there is an even number of lines overlapped in some places.

TammieH

I would think the easiest thing to do is save the file "export" in Illy as a tiff or jpeg,

I know some artwork is extremely complex, and you can spend an hour or two getting it print or cut ready.