• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

dvd game on mylaptop freezes entire comp?

gabagoo

I have this game on my laptop that I enjoy playing, but for the last 3 or 4 months it acts very strangely.

When I first boot up the dvd the main menu pops up on screen and when you click on the option to play the game one of 2 things might happen.

Either the dvd player starts up and the game can begin or nothing happens and the computer completely locks up. I mean nothing works, not even a crl alt delete command...completely frozen. The only way I can proceed to do anything is to hold down the start button until the power shuts off.

When you get the game to work it might work for 3 or 4 days and then it falls back into the frozen computer syndrome for days and days.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but the same problem persists.

I updated the dvd drivers but still it persists.

Anybody have any other things I can try?

Sabre

Tough to say for sure. I'd try updating the video drivers and see if that cleared any of it up or if it acts any differently. Sounds like it's having a had time entering a rendering mode.

gabagoo

It is really strange. It just seems as though it cant get the dvd player to start up and then freezes.

G-Artist

That can happen if you have used your computer for a while. Memory that was allocated to the previous tasks may not have not have been freed up so your computer doesn't see it as available.

A memory defrag program may halp. Or only play the game from a fresh boot. Programs such as Game Gain and others will shut off all processes running that you do not need.

If the problem still persists, find a game forum that discusses that game. You may find a solution. If you have that problem, others have as well.

EX. I love playing left 4 dead but it has problems with dual and quad core computers. The solution is to insert "mat_queue_mode 0" before playing.

Good luck.

gabagoo

I think I may have figured it out but still not 100% sure.
I opened a file on the dvd and found a direct x root folder. I opened it and loaded direct x and then I tried running the game. It worked.
Somehow my computer seems to block that program I am pretty sure as with some email attachments it always asks if I want direct x to run in order to view the file. Is there somewhere in my computer that keeps shutting the program down? Is there a way to keep it running or allow it to load when needed?

tintguy31794

I would have to say update your video card drivers as well.. this is generally the problem with any game. Second on the agenda would be to restart the computer before you play each time to ensure that its not a memory problem. (if it still freezes after a re boot then its not memory) If it freezes after you update your video card then it is not your video card... if it freezes after you update your driver for your dvd player then its not your dvd player and now you have to consider 3rd party devices that could be interfering with your game play.(software)