• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge 1 problem

Dave Correll

I got a problem with our Gerber edge...it occurs when we print, the vinyl tends to twist, stretch, and bind, then stop after 12" to 36" into the print. Were using gerber 220 white. It does't matter what foil we use. It's driving me crazy trying to figure out what going on. Just had the machine pretty muched overhauled last fall with new print head, etc. We don't use it very much so it hasn't had a lot of use since then and it has work perfectely until now.

Any ideas? My last resort is to call Gerber scientific.

GARY CULY

agreed ..try a nother roll there real quick see if the holes in that roll arent aligned .ive had this happen before

Dave Correll

yes it does. Actually, I had a 10' print with one color on light metallic gold that we couldn't get 12" without this problem occuring. Luckily, a block away there's a screen printing business with an edge. We took the same roll of vinyl and foil and ran it on theirs to get the job done...no problems.

GARY CULY

ok im thinkin ..the one gear roller is "floating" make sure its loose and free to move back and forth .oil it ....and look see if theres glue gunk built up on the gears ..clean the glue gunk off the little teeth there ..thats bout all i can think of create it to wrinkle up off top of head here
fred may chime in here if he sees it ..hes a good edge tech -y

might post on www.4edgetalk.com also with question

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Gary's got it right.
The floating back sprocket needs a bit of attention. Clean it and add a couple drop of oil even if you think it's sliding smoothly.

CBurr

Did you check the silver clip that holds the foil in. Alot of times it gets bent up and out of the way of the cassette but it hits the bail arm and causes extra pressure on the vinyl.

You may see the scratches on the bail arm to the right side of the knob.

Also check the plastic pressure feet (under the bail arm) that hold the vinyl down to make sure one didn't break and catch the vinyl now.

Another easy check is the sprocket alignment. Press the home key and you should be able to insert a 3/16 drill bit into the diamonds that are formed between the sprockets and the metal of the machine to make sure they are aligned.

And my far fetched guess is if you moved the machine or slammed the cover down sometimes the black covers pop out of their slot and will jam up the vinyl (usually occurs during shipping of the machine).

GARY CULY

checkin in to see if you got the edge fixed? what did you do?
i also want to mention ,,you can go to a toy train store and get some real good oil there .LABELLE brand is fine oil for all moving parts on any machine [i use it on my mimaki ] them train oils have a long metal tube [very small ,.080?] for getting in hard to reach areas ...might see bout a bottle while out shopping..use real dinosuar not synthetic on your machines ..leave synthetics in the chevy in driveway......i know oil...i lerned from my father who is a master machinist ..so some validity is here in this post

Dave Correll

Thank you all for the help. We performed all the tips that were suggested. We removed the little silver clip that temperarily holds the foil in until you engage the 3 pins at the bottom. That seems to be the culprit. Right now we're running a 4 color, 8' job with no problems.

Thanks Again!