• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge FX Advancing Foil but not printing?

hydo1

Hi Everybody, my bulletproof Gerber Edge FX has finally hit a snag. When I go to print a job, it lowers the cartridge and advances the foil but doesn't printing anything. After a few seconds it raises the cartridge and gives me a cartridge error. It was happening now and again but now it seems totally stuck and won't print at all. I did lubricate all the contact points and apply oil to the appropriate parts last week so no issues there I guess. Any ideas? Thanks!

EDIT #1: I have tried swapping out cartridges, doesn't seem to be an issue there.

EDIT #2: I just tired (on a whim) a different roll/manufacturer of vinyl and now it is printing fine. Like I mentioned before, the problem has been intermittent but I'm wondering if it is a vinyl issue.

Last edited:

FunkotronXL

Hi Everybody, my bulletproof Gerber Edge FX has finally hit a snag. When I go to print a job, it lowers the cartridge and advances the foil but doesn't printing anything. After a few seconds it raises the cartridge and gives me a cartridge error. It was happening now and again but now it seems totally stuck and won't print at all. I did lubricate all the contact points and apply oil to the appropriate parts last week so no issues there I guess. Any ideas? Thanks!

Check for any ABS debris on the teeth of the take-up side, after repeated uses it can gunk up with worn ABS shavings (especially if you are reusing caps for 3rd party ribbons).

EDIT #1: I have tried swapping out cartridges, doesn't seem to be an issue there.

If it happens with all it is likely either an obstruction on the teeth as stated above, or the plunger at the rear of the take-up side may not be providing enough push to seat the toothed fittings together; this would prevent the ribbon from getting taught and will prompt "retry foil" a lot. Find a ridge on the cart that is still exposed when the head lowers the foil down and lightly nudge the cartridge towards the keypad side of the printer using your index finger while the motor is spinning as you describe. You may need to jiggle it a bit but it should seat the geared portions on the cartridge.

EDIT #2: I just tired (on a whim) a different roll/manufacturer of vinyl and now it is printing fine. Like I mentioned before, the problem has been intermittent but I'm wondering if it is a vinyl issue.

You probably got lucky or by opening and closing the hood it shook something into place again. Odd for a substrate to affect the cartridge loading mechanism.

The issue you describe is a common one for 3rd party ribbon users. Certain manufacturers will "recommend" putting a spacer on their refills; if the ribbon posts are 1/8" shorter than OEM they can have loading issues.

Edit: format fixes

Last edited:

Billct2

Don't know about FX but on Edge 2 that was often a communication error. Disconnecting the cable and then reconnect and make sure all other connections are good often fixed it.