• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge II Test Print

mbarden

Hi Folks,
Was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is correct or incorrect. I have purchsed a used Edge Ii and have ran a test print. I ran a solid test and am seeing white dots scattered randomly. Do I need to clean the head?
Thanks
Mike B
Big River SIgn Co,.

Attachments

• 100_0621.JPG
    100_0621.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 178

Service Sign Co

You need to clean the head regularly anyway, That's just dust. Lack of head cleaning will leave horizontal lines that are quite obvious There is a hidden key for a test print to the left of the setup

mbarden

OK, I am beginning to hate dust. Maybe if the hurricane fan wasn't blowing on the Edge itself the dust would not be a problem. How do I clean the head.
Thanks Day.
Mike B

Service Sign Co

You really need to get the ThermApprove disposable printhead cleaning card,run it lightly across the print head until no color comes off onto the pad.Forget about shortcuts with 98% alcohol. The print head is just too expensive to replace. The Gerber P/N is P66530B

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Head cleaning should only be done with 99% to pure isopropanol. Diluted alcohols have water in them which will cause corrosion. You can buy special cleaning cards which are presoaked from Gerber or you can just buy a jug of isopropanol.

The dropouts you are seeing could be coming from poorly prepared or contaminated vinyl. Are you using 3M vinyl for your test? There is also an idiosyncrasy with the Edge to print dropouts when it is first used for the day. many users have gotten in the habit of running a few inches of waste printing to start the day.

The Sign Dude

My edge came with cleaning pads with some type of alcohol on it. these worked great.
make sure your little brushes that rub the incoming vinyl are in good shape too. they will catch a lot of stuff.

mbarden

Hi Folks,
Printing on 651 using Duracoat ribbons. I have cleaned the head with one of the cleaning packets that come with the ribbons. Should I wipe the 651 down with 99% as opposed to 70% Isopropal.
Thanks
Mike B

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
In ten years of running an Edge, I have never wiped my vinyl down before printing ... with or without a solvent. I often use exactly the same combination of film and foil that you are using.

Where did you get the idea that you need to clean the vinyl?