• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

EDGE2 / ECP Problem (Replacing Computer)

cptcorn

adad
Alright, I'm upgrading/replacing the computer our EDGE2 runs from. Our Mimaki CG9 and enVision work fine from the serial ports. CQMgr complains that the Edge2 requires an ECP port. ECP is setup in the bios as ECP only and the windows driver also says ECP Printer Port (LPT1). To the best of my knowledge the settings are the same between each driver.

Running ParCheck (located in the MISC directory of the Omega CD) on the working machines says everything is ok and on this newer computer (2 years old) it shows it as only a standard parallel port.

Any thoughts or direction? Everything I can find sees it as an ECP port except the Gerber products.

Tony Teveris

The Edge2 needs an ECP port because of the high data rates needed to "feed" the printer. ParCheck actually checks the "chip set" to see if it has the proper ECP capibilities. If your printer is an Edge2 the best solution is to purchase a USB to Parallel cable and driver from Gerber. Attempting to find a ECP Paralle interface to plug in to the computer could be trying.

Lets see what others have done.

cptcorn

adad
The Edge2 needs an ECP port because of the high data rates needed to "feed" the printer. ParCheck actually checks the "chip set" to see if it has the proper ECP capibilities. If your printer is an Edge2 the best solution is to purchase a USB to Parallel cable and driver from Gerber. Attempting to find a ECP Paralle interface to plug in to the computer could be trying.

Lets see what others have done.

Yup, I understand the technical stuff behind it. I'm quite affraid to purchase a parallel port card in case it doesn't work (since the onboard card is ECP but obviously inst working). This computer has an ATI south bridge chip set and the other has an intel chip set. Does the USB to Parallel work alright with 2.1? I wouldn't see why it wouldnt, anyways what adapters does gerber recommend?

cptcorn

adad
I installed a ECP parallel PCI card on my system and it works fine with my Edge 2.

What brand model number etc?

I have a SIIG JJ-P00112 Hardware Ver3.0 and the drivers/support for the card are horrible. Can't change the mode on the card to ECP with their software... emailed their support but it seems nobody ever hears back from them.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
The card is installed on my other optiplex system which is at the house. I'll post the info later.

cptcorn

adad
Update to my testing:

I decided to try running that parcheck program on all of the computers in the shop. I double checked all bios settings and made sure the settings were the same on all computers. ECP based parallel ports are nothing new really and I'm quite suprised of my findings...

#1 Computer running the Edge2, shows ECP in the program
#2 Computer is the same everything as #1, yet it says its just a standard parallel port
#3 Computer to replace the one running the Edge2, no go, says standard port
#4 Computer runs our accounting stuff and that one said it couldn't read the driver.
#5 Computer just sits an office for internet/email access for whom ever, this one says its an ECP port...
#6 Computer is the one I work from, dell motherboard pieced together mega rig 16gb ram dual quad core etc etc etc no reading from driver.

All of these computers are using the driver provided by Microsoft, all computers are running Windows XP. Computers 1, 2, 4, are running intel processors with intel chipsets. Computers 3 and 5 are running AMD processors with ati chip sets.

It's hard for me to believe that none of these can be used, especially when Windows recognizes the ports as ECP, along with the BIOSes. Along with it working fine on one machine and not on an identical other machine after verifying the same bios and driver settings 8 times.

Not sure...

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
NetMos PCI ECP Parallel Port w/ Driver 5.0.2183.1 was installed to make a LPT2 port.
It's been a few years since my Edge printed from this (retired) computer but I'm sure it printed from both my LPT1 & 2 without issue.

cptcorn

adad
Alright, got the SIIG JJ-P00112 Hardware Ver3.0 that was laying around configured to ECP only mode and still nothing... parcheck still says its a standard lpt port...

theskipman_98

I don't know if this helps, but here is our set up with our computer here in the production room. we are running HP's here.
Maybe it will help. Our Edge connects to a what looks like a standard printer parallel port. We have another PCI card that looks like parallel port, but it feeds the DeskJet printer.

Just used the Edge a few minutes ago, and these are the settings on ours.

Attachments

• system stats.jpg
    system stats.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 130
  • gsp manager.jpg
    gsp manager.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 105
  • ecp pp lpt1.jpg
    ecp pp lpt1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 122
  • ecp settings.jpg
    ecp settings.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 126
  • port driver.jpg
    port driver.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 115

cptcorn

adad
I don't know if this helps, but here is our set up with our computer here in the production room. we are running HP's here.
Maybe it will help. Our Edge connects to a what looks like a standard printer parallel port. We have another PCI card that looks like parallel port, but it feeds the DeskJet printer.

Just used the Edge a few minutes ago, and these are the settings on ours.

Yours is probably setup as an ECP parallel port...

I shouldn't have to buy a $100-$150 cable is what I'm saying... Parallel port technology is ancient... However I don't understand why there inst consistency between computers of the same identical type.

I know 100% for sure these ports are setup as ECP parallel ports, but the gerber software isnt recognizing it as such. So when I run a job it says a ECP port is required, obviously, to handle the higher bidirectional bandwidth required by the machine.

signage

cptcorn did you check you bios setting to make sure the card is set-up in it as ECP then also check your device manager and make sure it says ECP.

Attachments

• Device manager.bmp
    978.6 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

cptcorn

adad
cptcorn did you check you bios setting to make sure the card is set-up in it as ECP then also check your device manager and make sure it says ECP.

Yup! All of the computers we have (after checking in the bios) have parallel ports and a bios that support ECP. That's why I'm so confused about this. The Edge2 should work on all of our computers essentially. Ignoring that fact brings me to why 2 computers that are identical. One currently runs the edge, and the other cannot.

I'm not sure if gsp/omega tries detecting this before hand or what, but every time i try and print something it says the Edge2 requires an ECP port. I'm quite confident in my ability to screw up technology and understand what's going on. I'm at a loss for words with this. I have no Idea what to do without spending more money and not knowing 100% for sure that it will work.