• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

edges of material lifting on painted drywall

bigben

I've just installed several linear feet of dry erase material with an permanent acrylic adhesive. I've used the 3M test kit prior to the install and everything was fine (paint have been there 3 months prior to the install). The install have been made a little more than a month ago. Now, I have maybe 30% of them with the edge lifting. Just barely to see it (max 1/4in). We do lots of this kind of jobs, but it is the first time we see this.

Do you have any suggestions of an adhesive I could use to ''repair'' this? Thanks.

Attachments

• edge.jpg
    edge.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 325

bigben

That was my first idea, but like you I'm not sure if it would work on painted drywall. Someone said ''construction glue'', but that's very vague.

Reveal1

Brush adhesion promoter on wall along edges and heat to re-stick (if adhesive not contaminated) and/or 3m edge tape.

ams

Don't use spray adhesive or glob on liquid adhesive, it will cause bumps in the material and look worse.

bigben

Can you cut it back and then add a stripe of clear or white vinyl to seal the edge down?

If I press it down it work well. It take few hours before it lift again. I would prefer to go on the adhesive route to have a better esthetic look.

Brush adhesion promoter on wall along edges and heat to re-stick (if adhesive not contaminated) and/or 3m edge tape.

Those are my first idea, but did you ever tried it?

Don't use spray adhesive or glob on liquid adhesive, it will cause bumps in the material and look worse.

Good to know. I've used double sided tape for a corner on another projet and it worked well. I can't use this now because the edge that is lifting is too small/thin. The brush route is the best way I think. I just need to know what kind of adhesive.

bigben

Oh! and just to be sure. Do we talk of the 3M edge sealer 3950 or the 3M adhesion promoter 111? In my mind it was the edge sealer, but after googling it, I saw the adhesion promoter.

Reveal1

Adhesion Promoter - we use Probond. Get it from Fellers I believe. Not a fan of 3m brush on edge sealer because of thickness but do use on print/cut edges occasionally. For strigh or slightly curved edges we use edge seal tape available gloss or matte. Nice neat appearance and good grip. Standard on any job with marginal paint. Also use Scotchbrite pad to roughen surfaces/clean with IP alcohol 50/50 forpaint containing dirt shedding additives.

bigben

So I've just ordered the 3M adhesion promoter 111 and the manufacturer of the material suggest me to use sealitpen. It seems to be similar to the 3M edge sealer but in a pen.

What do you think?

signman315

Signmaker
is it calendared or cast vinyl? it's shrinking and the adhesive isn't aggressive enough to keep it down. Either a calendared with aggressive adhesive will work but will damage wall upon removal, or a cast with regular/removable adhesive will work and may or may not damage wall upon removal. Another option for tough to stick to paints (low VOC, etc) is an adhesive fabric, like Fabritac. The fabric doesn't shrink or "settle" over time like the vinyl does. Think of vinyl like a really thick, viscous liquid which will allow lifting over time. Adhesive fabric doesn't need an aggressive adhesive to stay in place and can be removed more easily to prevent damage to the wall, which is nice for those temporary installs.

bigben

is it calendared or cast vinyl? it's shrinking and the adhesive isn't aggressive enough to keep it down. Either a calendared with aggressive adhesive will work but will damage wall upon removal, or a cast with regular/removable adhesive will work and may or may not damage wall upon removal. Another option for tough to stick to paints (low VOC, etc) is an adhesive fabric, like Fabritac. The fabric doesn't shrink or "settle" over time like the vinyl does. Think of vinyl like a really thick, viscous liquid which will allow lifting over time. Adhesive fabric doesn't need an aggressive adhesive to stay in place and can be removed more easily to prevent damage to the wall, which is nice for those temporary installs.

It's dry erase film. If I'm not mistaken, it's calendered vinyl with a thin layer of polycarbonate. It's 6mil thick with a permanent acrylic adhesive.

signman315

Signmaker
Yeah I'm not educated with putting dry erase on painted wall, usually i do the same as what Reveal1 mentioned and can't speak to the various properties of different brands/types of dry erase when applied to a painted wall.

bigben

So I've just got the 3m adhesion promoter 111. Is it me or it's just a overpriced bottle of alcohol? Is there anything else in that stuff?

Reveal1

So I've just got the 3m adhesion promoter 111. Is it me or it's just a overpriced bottle of alcohol? Is there anything else in that stuff?

Maybe - we tested that against ProBond adhesive promotor and had better luck with the probond on really tough to adhere paint with which we were having issues - plus Probond less expensive per oz. Both seem to work though.