• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

edges of wrap lifting

Spencer McMurtry

on a pickup a wrap a few months ago the edges on lifting between the cab and box where i wrapped it in and cut it. should i have put primer here? or used some kind of edge seal? any suggests on how to stick it back down?

Thanks!

threeputt

Primer only the "problem" areas before hand. Deep wells inside door handles, around tight bends in sheetmetal, etc.

Most likely cause of failure if it wasn't in a "problem" area was faulty cleaning in that area prior to application.

Doubt if you can stick it back down. Cut away bad areas, re-print, laminate and apply fix. Should be barely noticeable.

stickermonkey

3M primer 94 in all places where there are cuts, tucks or relief cuts...I also put it in areas that you will be tucking and rolling the film into. Then, use strips (1/2 inch) of the lam to edge seal. :) It takes a lot of extra time and effort...but it works!

BALLPARK

Here is what I do... Not saying it is the best way... ;)

1) Lift back the vinyl flap just a bit more than needed.

2) Clean the vinyl flap with 50/50 alcohol. Yep...

3) Clean the vehicle area again with 50/50 alcohol.

4) Put a nice layer of 3M Primer 94 down. Let it dry for a minute or two.

5) Relay the vinyl flap and heat it up just a bit after it is back down.

I had a corner on a box truck come up after the install. The box truck had previous repairs to the body and had inserted new rivets. The rivet was extremely close to the edge. This is the area that lifted. After doing the above, it is still going strong in that area months after it was repaired.

I was a bit concerned about the alcohol on the vinyl while cleaning. It will weaken the bond for the adhesive. But it was already in bad shape, so I tried to get all grime off of it. The primer 94 is a great asset for wraps. But a pain in the butt to remove vinyl from heavily coated primer 94 areas. Keep that in mind later...