• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

elance...

ucmj22

2 questions

does anyone here list projects on elance?

has anyone tried to take an elance software proficiency test?
I took one for photoshop with the belief that I am pretty frigin good... I failed, 60%. only about 20% of the test was relevant for photo editing and manipulation IMO. Now I'm scared to take the other tests!

Circleville Signs

LOL - I have used Elance in the past. Here is the biggest problem you are going to have...

You are competing with the Middle East. People who will do credible logo design work for $50-75.

You are also competing with South America. Where the same work will be done for about the same price. Occasionally, you will find a buyer who is looking for US only work and to whom quality is paramount. HOWEVER, the vast majority of the time, you are trying to be the low bidder for a clietn who is concerned only about price.

I always lose on price....dammit!

ucmj22

LOL - I have used Elance in the past. Here is the biggest problem you are going to have...

You are competing with the Middle East. People who will do credible logo design work for $50-75.

You are also competing with South America. Where the same work will be done for about the same price. Occasionally, you will find a buyer who is looking for US only work and to whom quality is paramount. HOWEVER, the vast majority of the time, you are trying to be the low bidder for a clietn who is concerned only about price.

I always lose on price....dammit!

I expected this ^^ but figured if I get 1 extra job a month, it would be well worth it, even if only for portfolio pieces.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Lets see... get the occasional 50-100 buck logo that will probably not be portfolio worthy, or knock on a few doors, send out a few mailers and get one years worth of elance work in one month with hardy any effort...

I'm lazy with my marketing... really lazy with it, and I still get work without having to deal with that mess of a site.

Always remember whether it's a hub site or crowdsourcing site, the host of the site is the only one making money.

ucmj22

Lets see... get the occasional 50-100 buck logo that will probably not be portfolio worthy, or knock on a few doors, send out a few mailers and get one years worth of elance work in one month with hardy any effort...

I'm lazy with my marketing... really lazy with it, and I still get work without having to deal with that mess of a site.

Always remember whether it's a hub site or crowdsourcing site, the host of the site is the only one making money.

Ive got one marketing agency around here that I do a lot of work for, but have had a hard time building a larger client base for my freelance work. I thought this would help me expand geographically since opportunities in my area seem rather tight.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
elance has too many people... if you start looking around at all the people, it ends up being a bunch of noise.

On freelance work (or getting clients), I have had way more luck networking with former co-workers and clients I got from them than any other means. And anytime I get a client that needs work that is out of my expertise, I send them to former co-workers or vendors who can do that type of work.