• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Embossed Printing

cwb143

Anyone here do embossed printing? I was wanting to know what are the good machines for this kind of work. how hard is it to do?

CWB

HulkSmash

I havnt done any embossed printing before, but i have used this chemical, you inject on top of a die cut decal, that hardens, and adds a "Globe" effect to it...looks pretty awesome

sfr table hockey

I was at my Roland dealer and seen a print with the embossed print. It looked real nice but was afraid to ask the price of the printer. I think it uses a clear ink to build up the depth and then must print over that.

The picture I seen was ice and drops of water running down a glass and the drops and ice were embossed. I would think that unless it was on posters for close up you would not use it much on signs seen from a distance so depending on your market of what you print you might not use it that often for that feature.

cwb143

Someone brought in a table matte and a couple posters and contour cut acrylic piece all of them were embossed and backed up with foil laminated that gave them a metallic finish really sharp looking.

if your talking about doming we do that daily. if you have any questions shoot me a pm and i'll let you know what you need to know etc......just not sure if its doming your talking about though....

sfr table hockey

On the Roland PDF they call it an "Embossing Effect". Compared to domed where the print image is inside flat and the dome is raised, the Embossing Effect is (I think) printed over the (clear) built up area. I looked at the back of the print to see if it had been embossed from behind, and it was not.

cwb143

Yeah I'm a little skiddish of that.
I think what im looking at was done with a screen printer.
probably.

artbot

i saw this effect being printed real time at a trade show (roland booth). it was slower than you have even see a print exit a printer. the printer had to over print and uncountable amount of times to build up the uv clear. i'd estimate it was about four square feet an hour from watching it.

Tony McD

Where I used to work we had a poster printing press using inks.
After printing, there was a dust you could sprinkle on the ink, that puffed it up a bit.
Might check with an older print shop.

DRamm76

i saw this effect being printed real time at a trade show (roland booth). it was slower than you have even see a print exit a printer. the printer had to over print and uncountable amount of times to build up the uv clear. i'd estimate it was about four square feet an hour from watching it.

If you are referring to the LEJ-640, It's really going to depend on how much clear is in the artwork. It doesnt print at the same speeds as when it lays down CMYK. It only lays down the gloss where it's needed. Maximum speed on the print unit itself is 133sq ft per hour.

If you are printing directly on board even at slowest print speeds it will still be done in less time than it would take to print it on vinyl, outgas and mount to a board. So while the machine may not be lightning speed, you are saving time in labor