• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

engraving shop job order forms?

threeputt

We recently purchased a trophy and engraving shop. When an order came in, the previous owner just jotted down the particulars on a pad which had her name and not much else.

We find this woefully inadequate for a ton or reasons.

My quest is to find a sample order form or at least obtain some info on how to go about setting up a job order form that would encompass all the millions of possibilities.

Many of you know there's trophys, plaques, name badges, buttons, rubber stamps, ribbons, and just tons of things that get engraved.

How to make a single form that asks all the right questions is the challenge I'm tasked with.

Any suggestions? We do operate a sign shop with a custom work order that we designed, but being very green to the engraving business we're looking for some sort of starting point.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Stephen Capper is an awards industry guru, and a contributer to A&E Magazine (Awards & Engraving). He did an extensive series of articles a while back about various business forms for a shop like yours. He has combined those forms into a single volume.

Here's the link: http://www.stephenlcapper.com/Products.html

threeputt

I have contacted A&E magazine directly, also.

But I'm a little surprised at the few responses I'm getting here. Apart from yours, no other's input.

Patience, grasshopper.

Custom_Grafx

you just want to have one form that covers everything? or would you consider having one for each different area?

i use one form, but it's quite flexible. lists item description, item type, unit price, qty, calculates the total, adds freight and tax, has credit card details in the corner, ETA of job, Ship date, tracking number. I then have a big box up top which is blank which i've labeled "notes". all the details go here. material, wording etc. also note any special settings/jigs here. then there are 2 separate 'contact details' areas. one for the person ordering, and if the delivery details are different, one for that.

i think it might be a good idea to see what types of orders are more frequent and bias your design towards those needs. for instance, if there's a product like tags, or rubber stamps where you only want to offer 3 font choices, a little checkbox section where you tick the font would work well for you.

at the end of the day, you know what will work best for you... it does take some time to get the right mix, and i reckon it's an ever evolving process. can always improve a form :)

threeputt

you just want to have one form that covers everything? or would you consider having one for each different area? :)

Well see...that's another thing. I thought of that too. I'm thinking one form would be hard pressed to cover it all. Maybe three forms could possibly do it?

ova

I'll try to post what we use. It's really basic as far as order forms, but we leave allot of space for additional information. We just use the copier to make more.

Couple of things I've found out over the years:

1. Ask for the customers info typed, not hand written. Too hard to read and too easy to make mistakes on names when you think it's an e but really an r when they hand you there version of cursive.

2. Always have someone else proof read anything you're engraving on a plaque. Even it's only two or three lines. We also send the customer an email to proof and sign off. Scoccer Mom is way harder to deal with then any sign customer

3. You can't ask too many questions as to what they want on their trophy.

Hope this helps
Dave

Last edited:

ova

Hope this works. First time trying to post something.

Attachments

• form.pdf
    500.4 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

Custom_Grafx

Well see...that's another thing. I thought of that too. I'm thinking one form would be hard pressed to cover it all. Maybe three forms could possibly do it?

If you go with different forms - I strongly suggest using a different colour paper for each one. Will make your life easier.

jiarby

We use different colored job sleeve ticket holders (9x12, from uline) to distinquish between different types of jobs.

Having a "master" form seems overly complicated.

Make individual forms..
A general purpose order form (custy contact info, due date, check boxes for type of job), job id#. We use a carbonless NEBS form for this.
An engraving form with design area grid.
A trophy order form.
A plaque order form.

I am kinda like the people you bought from... I can get it done with a spiral notebook.