• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

enVision 375 Problem

bcpop

I have a Gerber enVision 375 that has started giving me an inconsistent cut. When I send a job, sometimes part of the job does not cut (will only slightly score the vinyl) while other areas cut perfectly. Sometimes everthing seems to cut OK. I have changed the blade and the cutting strip. I have played with different cutting speeds and pressures. Can anyone help me diagnose the problem? I have had this machine since '99 and I am afraid that I am going to have to send it back for an overhaul. Any help would greatly appreciated.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
There are three possibilities I can suggest:

1. Remove the plastic cover for the toolhead and put a drop of oil on the moving parts related to up-down motion. while you're there check for tightness of everything.

2. Redo the replacement of the cutting strip being extremely careful to swab out any adhesive residue in the slot it sits in. A second cutting strip is cheap compared to a factory repair.

3. Replace the blade holder itself. It does have internal bearings that wear out. I've got a late 1998 Envision 375 and I'm on my third blade holder. Again, it's a lot quicker and cheaper than a factory repair.

bcpop

Thanks Fred. I am actually on my forth blade carrier. I did get the cutting strip tray really clean before putting the new strip in. I will try the oiling trick. Do you know what a factory overhaul cost?

ndemond

My 750 was not cutting all the way and just going throught the motions for cutting. After several Gerber techs, one guy told me to set the pull down to
0. Worked great. Another problem of not cutting all the way through was solved by reattaching the little ribbon thingie on the bottom of the tool carriage. Hope this helps

Donny7833

I had the exact same problem with an Envision 375 and tried all the advised remedies, new cut strip, new knife holder and oiling. After a few phone calls with our Midwest tech, I ended up replacing the whole carriage assembly.

When you take the cover off of the carriage assembly, move the plunger/knife holder (coil and magnet) up and down gently. It should move smoothly. If it sound/feels gritty, it may be time to replace.

I'm not saying this is your fate, however if it is, order the assembly from your Gerber rep/vendor and swap it yourself. If your handy that is... :Cool 2: It'll get you up and running faster than sending it in for service. You'll end up paying for a new assembly anyway, because factory service is gonna swap it out. It's quicker for the techs to swap it out with a new unit than to diagnose the old one. This is of course if the Envision is not under warranty or service contract.

I can't recall what it cost (I'll look at my records). It was pretty straight forward to swap out, not difficult in my opinion, and took about 40 min to do. The new unit comes with good instructions and a weighted balance for calibrating. The only PITA is seating the ribbon cables. But, I saved allot of time and the labor cost.