• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson s80600 - will disabling one of the heads effectively sentence that head, its cap tops, and lines to death?

IvanDD

Last time I had a head fail I couldnt even start the machine up to get to the settings to disable the head. Kind of defeats the point doesnt it? Now that my LM is about dead in my head2, I want to disable it so I can still print fine with head1. And if the head completely fails, I'll still at least be able to start and use the machine since it was already disabled.

Would disabling the head indefinitely cause the cap tops to dry up, the lines to dry up, the other colors to clog since I'm not actuating the heads for an extended time?

Does anyone also know if that captop assembly is available to purchase online? I'm down to switch out the cap tops first to see if that may be the issue. I doubt it though since LC is still fine and they share a cap top.

Please and thank you.

unclebun

I just got an S80600L, why would you need to disable a head?
If one of your heads has a color fail or many clogged nozzles, you can print with the other, albeit at a slower rate, without the print defects.

It you have a head alignment problem (alignment between the two heads) printing with only one head gets rid of the blurriness and double lines.

netsol

we print a nozzle check, at least, on every printer, EVERY DAY.
if i am not going to the office to print, SOMEONE will do this.

if you are disabling one head, i would certainly view it as the kiss of death
at a bare minimum, i would fill a syringe with flush or cleaning fluid and wet the captop EVERY DAY

unclebun

we print a nozzle check, at least, on every printer, EVERY DAY.
if i am not going to the office to print, SOMEONE will do this.

if you are disabling one head, i would certainly view it as the kiss of death
at a bare minimum, i would fill a syringe with flush or cleaning fluid and wet the captop EVERY DAY
On the Epson disabling the head just means you don't, print with it until you change the setting. The printer still does ink circulations, head cleanings, and when you run test prints it still makes the test patterns with the head you're not printing with. No additional maintenance is necessary.

netsol

On the Epson disabling the head just means you don't, print with it until you change the setting. The printer still does ink circulations, head cleanings, and when you run test prints it still makes the test patterns with the head you're not printing with. No additional maintenance is necessary.
but, doesn't that mean that FROM THE Y ADAPTER FORWARD no ink flows? or does it still pull ink through a cleaning cycle?
if no ink flows, it will dry out and clog (kiss of death, as i understand it)

netsol

but, doesn't that mean that FROM THE Y ADAPTER FORWARD no ink flows? or does it still pull ink through a cleaning cycle?

netsol

obviously, if you disable for one particular job (can't get a consistent green, with problems from yellow head, for instance) but
isn't it kind of a "from this day forward"... setting

stickerhed

If one of your heads has a color fail or many clogged nozzles, you can print with the other, albeit at a slower rate, without the print defects.

It you have a head alignment problem (alignment between the two heads) printing with only one head gets rid of the blurriness and double lines.
Thank you

unclebun

No. It cleans normally. It doesn't really disable the head. It just doesn't print with it. The setting in the printer menu doesn't say "disable". It says Print with both, print with head 1, or print with head 2. (Not in sentence English like that). The head is still on and activated. When it cleans, it dumps ink out through the head and wipes it with then wiper whether you have the setting to print with it or not. You still have the same amount of ink going through it to the waste bottle.

CanuckSigns

Oddly enough, I was having bad banding issues from some dropped nozzles on head 1, so I turned head 1 off and kept printing for a few weeks, then I had a job that needed to be printed quickly and quality wasn't a concern, so I turned head 1 back on and somehow the original issue was gone and it printed perfectly for another year before I needed to replace that head.

unclebun

ok, i have never "disabled" one head.
i pictured it as more of a "carved in stone" type operation
Nope. It's not turned completely off. You are just selecting whether to use head 1, head 2, or both for that printing job and all subsequent ones until you change the setting. All maintenance functions continue on both heads regardless of the print setting.