• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Essential Critical Infrastructure" & "Critical Trades"

ikarasu

This reminds me of a few days ago when GameStop decided since they entertain people they are considered essential, and told.their employees if the police try to shut then down to argue that point.

Does said lawfirm need 200 nameplates installed to operate? Are they essential?

The virus can stay on some surfaces for a week +, if not longer. there was probably dozens of people touching those box trucks / walls you guys think are safe to work on.

It's hilarious that theres a pandemic going on, That theres thousands of doctors saying whats safe and what is not safe... Thousands of deaths everyday, and people still think installing a nameplate in an office is essential.

A lot of people are complaining about the government forcing shutdowns rather than social distancing - Posts like this is the reason why. We canceled all installs - No vehicle wraps, nothing. You're supposed to only go into corwded places, like grocery stores for essentials - Not a lawyers office where 300 potential carriers have been coughing and sneezing everywhere.

20% Of the population are ruining it for everyone else. the beaches here were filled with people yesterday... We got called "Canada Florida" Because everyone here is ignoring the rules and acting like nothing is going on. I'd love to not have a lockdown, but the stupidity of others makes me hopeful one happens soon... but even then, seems like people are too dumb to listen and will continue spreading it.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
This virus just does not just get passed amongst ourselves through close contact, It also stays on objects for hours that someone who is infected touched. Even the floor you walk on and when you take off your shoes it passes on to you.
Moze you are going to do want you want no matter what someone on here says. You are endangering the herd by stepping out to do what you have decided to do. The self containing of people is what works to fight this thing. It seems your more concerned about your business and lack of money will hurt you, but what about the people around you getting sick. Your family and community health does not seem to concern you, Your afraid you will be dumped for future projects by this sign company because its a big job, fear is what is driving you, that jingle of money in your pocket won't do you much good laying in a hospital with a diaper on and breathing with the help of a ventilator. Plus we would miss you here telling us about all your tools and how much Lexel is better than GE silicone for adhesive.

There are an awful lot of assumptions in your response.

I have zero worries about being dumped by any of my customers and money is certainly not my primary concern. And you certainly don't know what I've "decided to do". Read back through my posts.

As I just mentioned, I've postponed a number of jobs that would have generated significant amounts of money because they're in no way part of the 'essential services' listed and would require being in fairly close proximity to other people. The jobs I'm considering doing require zero interaction with other people nor would I be near other people but the signs being installed are needed to help complete the project.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
But going and installing signs at some lawyers office is??? You keep leaving out a very important word in the guidelines “maintaining”. New construction of water lines, sewer, electrical would be part of maintaining critical infrastructure.

Perhaps it's not.

I'm not being argumentative. I started this thread to shake the bushes and get the exact kind of responses I'm getting. I want to hear the reasoning from others that aren't biased like I might be. In my original post, I tried to clearly lay out the guidelines and then why I thought certain types of installs MIGHT be ok. I haven't decided whether to actually do this particular install or not but I'm leaning towards not doing it.

brycesteiner

If you are stuck at home there is no problem doing some home projects. I'm all for it. This pandemic is a joke. It's a panic to kill the economy.

Yes, people are getting COVID-19 but there will be 5x more people die by flu this year. There will be 5x more people die in car accidents. Yet cars are still allowed and the flu has not stopped the economy.
Let's put this in perspective the Ohio Health Director has said that 117,000 people have the virus in Ohio (350 confirmed) and only 3 people have died from it. That works out to .00025% of people who have it vs deaths (if Dr. Amy Acton is correct). Will that number go up. I'm sure it will. Your chances of dying by lightning this year is greater.

I have an 96 year old veteran who comes in every day to my office and sits and talks and writes at his desk. I told him the situation here in Ohio. He said he didn't care he was going to die anyway. He doesn't want to be cooped up in his lonely house with nobody for weeks and possibly months. The worse thing for him would be not doing what he loves. I told him it was his choice and I would allow what he wanted. I have limited people to come in and visit and we keep hand sanitizer out.

We should all be taking hygiene seriously even when there is not a flu virus out there but killing the economy because people might get sick and die, which is natural part of life, doesn't make sense unless this is the new norm of handling sickness. Is this what we want?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
This reminds me of a few days ago when GameStop decided since they entertain people they are considered essential, and told.their employees if the police try to shut then down to argue that point.

Does said lawfirm need 200 nameplates installed to operate? Are they essential?

The virus can stay on some surfaces for a week +, if not longer. there was probably dozens of people touching those box trucks / walls you guys think are safe to work on.

It's hilarious that theres a pandemic going on, That theres thousands of doctors saying whats safe and what is not safe... Thousands of deaths everyday, and people still think installing a nameplate in an office is essential.

A lot of people are complaining about the government forcing shutdowns rather than social distancing - Posts like this is the reason why. We canceled all installs - No vehicle wraps, nothing. You're supposed to only go into corwded places, like grocery stores for essentials - Not a lawyers office where 300 potential carriers have been coughing and sneezing everywhere.

20% Of the population are ruining it for everyone else. the beaches here were filled with people yesterday... We got called "Canada Florida" Because everyone here is ignoring the rules and acting like nothing is going on. I'd love to not have a lockdown, but the stupidity of others makes me hopeful one happens soon... but even then, seems like people are too dumb to listen and will continue spreading it.

GameStop was arguing that they provide 'critical' supplies since they also sell computer accessories that people working from home may need - it wasn't because they provided entertainment.

Yes, this law firm has a few hundred nameplates and room ID signs that are certainly not essential. And you're right, if other workers have been spreading germs and possibly the virus, my presence would be adding to the problem.

So to clarify, posts like this are not why the government is forcing shutdowns. This post was to get opinions so I could see if I were viewing it correctly - and I appreciate the ones that were offered.

thesignpost

The Raiders stadium is still building, its considered essential, construction is considered essential, I do signs for construction companies, I am essential.

rjssigns

I'm staying at home. Bulk of my work right now is on boats that haven't been touched since September 2019. But I have to travel and I'm not traveling. It can wait. All of it can wait. Ain't broke, not goin' broke because I stop working for a bit. And just like Moze, my good clients aren't going to dump me. Before all this started I was told to finish as many boats as possible in the next couple weeks. Sales have been off the hook again.

Here's a little tidbit. Instead of focusing on doom and gloom think about the euphoric spending that will certainly happen at the end of this. Then you guys will be here saying you're working 27 hours a day 8 days a week. Bet on it.

Stacey K

I like making signs
If I have requests for essential signage for the city, hospitals, etc concerning the virus I will do them. Anything else I am not. CC payment and I'll set the stuff outside. I'm contacting my chamber of commerce to let them know they can count on me.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'm staying at home. Bulk of my work right now is on boats that haven't been touched since September 2019. But I have to travel and I'm not traveling. It can wait. All of it can wait. Ain't broke, not goin' broke because I stop working for a bit. And just like Moze, my good clients aren't going to dump me. Before all this started I was told to finish as many boats as possible in the next couple weeks. Sales have been off the hook again.

Here's a little tidbit. Instead of focusing on doom and gloom think about the euphoric spending that will certainly happen at the end of this. Then you guys will be here saying you're working 27 hours a day 8 days a week. Bet on it.
I totally agree with you! The time to catch up on paperwork etc is NOW. We will make up for the lost work soon enough and all be exhausted.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
We are a small part of a larger company, the larger company provides a critical role or whatever and we supply them with things they need to operate. Such as signage. So we’re being kept open even through a lockdown; albeit with skeleton staff.

we also do a lot of work for the national health service so if they need stuff done, someone needs to be here.

TimToad

You are leaving this part out to fit what you want it to be. New construction does not fit. They allow these trades to function when they are engaged in critical service work on exisiting essential operations. Its not a blanket do whatever you want

Here is a real life example.

I got hammered by the kangaroo court here last week because we were doing a graphics job for a long time client who owns a septic service company who was being prohibited from working by a neighboring county he does service in because a 30' tanker/pumper they recently purchased wasn't fully marked as per that county's requirements for companies that handle biowastes.

Taking prudent precautions, we both called the state DOT, county health dept. and even state police to check on the definition of what an "essential service" business or activity is. The most common rational for allowing us to complete the project was that sanitary and sewer services are most definitely "essential" and those enabling them to smoothly continue their operations were exempt as long as we took the necessary precautions. They also stated that allowing DOT, state police or other possible inspectors to QUICKLY identify the truck and trailer from a DISTANCE would help reduce the number of roadside stops and the risk those entail, it was prudent to get this done and get them on the road providing an essential service to protect public safety.

We did the job in their yard on this brand new piece of equipment, with no other people around and two days after the entire rig was pressure washed and allowed to dry.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, mr hammered kangaroo, you want us to believe that lettering the entire vehicle and doing a two-day job on it..... is as essential as putting identifying markings and the DOT #'s on it ??

You not only lettered this truck, you're full of if it's a load.​

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Here is a real life example.

I got hammered by the kangaroo court here last week because we were doing a graphics job for a long time client who owns a septic service company who was being prohibited from working by a neighboring county he does service in because a 30' tanker/pumper they recently purchased wasn't fully marked as per that county's requirements for companies that handle biowastes.

Taking prudent precautions, we both called the state DOT, county health dept. and even state police to check on the definition of what an "essential service" business or activity is. The most common rational for allowing us to complete the project was that sanitary and sewer services are most definitely "essential" and those enabling them to smoothly continue their operations were exempt as long as we took the necessary precautions. They also stated that allowing DOT, state police or other possible inspectors to QUICKLY identify the truck and trailer from a DISTANCE would help reduce the number of roadside stops and the risk those entail, it was prudent to get this done and get them on the road providing an essential service to protect public safety.

We did the job in their yard on this brand new piece of equipment, with no other people around and two days after the entire rig was pressure washed and allowed to dry.

You got railed because you made a comment that when you showed up to your industrial complex, you saw many people there and made a comment about their political persuasion and their disregard of the shelter in place order. It was pointed out that you were doing the same thing.

If you didn't make that snide remark, there really would not of been an issue.

TimToad

"Residential and Commercial Construction" doesn't include new construction? What kind of reasoning is that?

I didn't leave anything out - I included that excerpt in my opening post. I'm not making anything fit what I want it to be. I've already taken the initiative and postponed jobs that would have generated thousands but that I deem non-essential. I'm specifically discussing jobs that are still under construction.

I'll dumb it down: Drive anywhere around Dallas. Construction projects have not stopped. Why? Because part of "Essential Critical Infrastructure" is "Residential and Commercial Construction". Signs may seem insignificant, but a Certificate of Occupancy won't be given unless there are certain signs in place and they pass inspection.

Because each state is creating its own definitions and standards, political influence is most definitely affecting certain decisions and the constraints of those definitions.

Just look at the lack of broad and widely accepted precautions taken towards spring breakers in Florida. Until it became obvious that risks were being increased, the governor was acting like the mayor in Jaws.

TimToad

You got railed because you made a comment that when you showed up to your industrial complex, you saw many people there and made a comment about their political persuasion and their disregard of the shelter in place order. It was pointed out that you were doing the same thing.

If you didn't make that snide remark, there really would not of been an issue.

Bullshiite! Gino is still hammering me today even after providing the detailed explanation in this thread of what really happened, the county's requirements for that type of truck and the precautions taken.

A woodworking shop is not an essential service.

Neither is an electrician doing nearly all residential and small commercial retrofits and repairs. Nor is the office of a small hamburger joint who mostly uses the space for HR operations, storage and a side delivery business it is running.

You aren't here, you're not seeing the lack of precautions being taken, the lack of change in these neighbor's daily habits, the politically based opinions being shared about how this is all a "liberal, Democrat, fake news hoax" and there are bills to pay and nobody is going to stop them from working.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nobody said this was a liberal thing. You just keep bringing the politics into it and just causing more friction, everytime you type your sh!t out. You're the one tattling on your neighbors, not us.

My take is the same today as it was last week. It should only take an hour if that, to put the ESSENTIAL stuff on that truck. Not 2 days. You are milking it and taking advantage of precautions.
  • So, you're saying an electrician repairing someone's refrigerator or faulty house setup is not essential ??
Why are you playing...... mr Watch-and-Keep-Tabs-on-Your-Neighbor policeman ?? Are you THAT important that the whole neighborhood needs you to tell THEM what to do, too ?? Or are you just mr self-appointed mr snitch ??

Johnny Best

Hey Toad, jurors #3 and #4 had no idea what you were talking about, they just lost most of their court in fires recently.
kangaroos.jpg

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I've got some work doing directional signs to the fuel stations that are going to remain open & info signs redirecting customers from the ones that are going to close down.
I guess I am semi-essential in the short term.

'Hammered Kangaroo' - I think they played at my high school senior prom.

AMGearhart

Our main customers are hospitals. Right now, we are working with them to get a new Urgent Care opened. I know that they technically can't open with out being ADA compliant or without certain other safety signage. We've also been doing a lot of temporary signage for drive-up triage. But we have not had an edict here yet to shelter in place.

rjssigns

My mechanic was told at this point he is essential. Same for his suppliers. He called yesterday, shop truck goes in today or tomorrow. Actually had to schedule the work. Imagine that.